torque converter lock-up mod

snatchal

Reaction score
Ya, I did the mod last night, works great. Hopefully a couple more MPG's will be coming my way now.
Norve, How many RPMs does yours drop when you lock it up at 55 MPH ? Mine drops about 300.
I still can't believe that such a cheap and simple mod can make such a difference in how my truck runs. :D

norve8c9

Payton
Reaction score
Mine drops anywhere from 300-500, depends on how hard I was on the gas before hittin the switch. Took it on its first drive to work this mornin :thumbsup: Mine always smokes more too when the converter is locked up so there''s another added bonus as well.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
2manydsls said:
Just a dumb question, which plug on the E4OD contains the lockup wire? Thanks in advance.
Ross

Well if you are intercepting the wire from the transmission to the computer, it'll be the purple wire with the yellow strip on it, that is the 12 volts from the tranny, ground that out and the T/C locks up.

2manydsls

Reaction score
I've looked at the plug on the drivers side of the trans. and cannot find that colored wire. This is on my 92 E-350 van. The convertor doesn't lock up at all. So thought I would try to do it manually.
Ross

snatchal

Reaction score
I've looked at the plug on the drivers side of the trans. and cannot find that colored wire. This is on my 92 E-350 van. The converter doesn't lock up at all. So thought I would try to do it manually.
It is the plug on the passenger side, behind the sheet metal plate. I followed the wire harness back over the top of the tranny a couple feet where there was some slop in the loom and pulled it down to work on it. There was already a section of harness there that was opening up, so I wiped off the wires and found the purple with yellow stripe and snipped it. Just doing that made the trans shift better, just no lock-up.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plug that goes to the pass side of the trans goes to the solenoid pack. That solenoid pack controls line pressure, shifts and lockups.

The only thing the plug on the drivers' side goes to is the shifter sensor.

With the van, just pull the doghouse and open up the loom on top of the trans to find the right wire. But before you go hacking, check your wire connections to the solenoid pack. One corroded connector will make these (#$@(&$ things go haywire.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
2manydsls said:
I've looked at the plug on the drivers side of the trans. and cannot find that colored wire. This is on my 92 E-350 van. The convertor doesn't lock up at all. So thought I would try to do it manually.
Ross

Look under the hood, just to the left of brake booster there is a computer modual. You'll see the wire there.

2manydsls

Reaction score
Well I found the wire, cut, added a switch to ground and now I have TC lockup on demand. What a difference in engine rpm and noise. Thanks to all with the help.
Ross :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker