torque converter lock early

askikr79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my converter seems to lock up in 3rd gear too early. sometimes its only in third for a blink of an eye. searching around seems like it could be the tach sensor. any other ideas i can check out. its a e4od. i dont want to do the converter mod.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TC will lockup as slow as 36 MPH or until the speed reaches the throttle position it's set at. You should see a 500 RPM drop when it locks up in OD. The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) on the IP voltage should be set at .96 VDC at idle and 3.5 to 4.1 at WOT. A 1.01 VDC at idle will give a little harder shift. If your tach sensor is erratic, it will tend to go into limp mode, shift down into 2nd gear, that will destroy the tranny if you keep running it like that.

askikr79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks. i will have to get right on it. it feels like i dont have a 3rd gear. it basically 1 2 3lu then od. the rpm drop drastically. thanks i will check it today before i cause some more damage.

askikr79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
voltage is good. I drove the truck and paid more attention to the issue.

The torque converter is locking up in 3rd and OD automatically. So essentially I am not using 3rd or OD without it being locked up.

I also held the brake down when I get on the highway and the torque converter disengages.

Black dawg

Reaction score
That is how mine has always been. If you set the voltage higher, it will help drag the shifts out a little. I dont think I have ever had mine set lower than 1.25 volts, it would shift too early.

what is yours set at?
what is your idle speed?

askikr79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove it around alot more and it seems that its locking up at 35mph and shifting into 3rd at the same time. If i drive slow as heck it will hit 3rd at like 25-30 and then lock up at 35. I guess I see why people do the manual lockup mod.

My voltage was .9-1 at idle
Idle is around 650 or 750 if I remember. I will have to check.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drove it around alot more and it seems that its locking up at 35mph and shifting into 3rd at the same time. If i drive slow as heck it will hit 3rd at like 25-30 and then lock up at 35. I guess I see why people do the manual lockup mod.

My voltage was .9-1 at idle
Idle is around 650 or 750 if I remember. I will have to check.

With the manual lockup, which is for engine brakeing, staying locked up below 40 MPH is ineffective, and it's awful ******* the E4OD.
Turn the OD OFF and it won't lock up at all, lock up is OD.

Nominal Shifting points, on a normal speedup to 40-45 MPH with OD ON.
1st--0 to 12
2nd--12 to 22
3rd--22 to ~40--45 OD lockup
OD--~ OD to whatever.

When you apply the brake it will kick it out of OD as long as the brake is applied down to 32 MPH, when the speed reaches 32 the OD will stay off and down shift until you speed up to at least 36 MPH.

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
It actually locks in 2-4 and doesnt matter if the od is cancelled or not

askikr79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i turned off od. it locks up in third. i hit the brakes and it unlocks. i guess i will check it for codes.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
staying locked up below 40 MPH is ineffective, and it's awful ******* the E4OD.

i don't want to hijack.

if i am understanding you right my tranny does this.
the route i take to school has 35mph,45,&55 zones. the terrain is kind of hilly and winding. when i am in the 35,45 zones the tq stays locked in o/d down to ~30mph and the rpm's can get down to around 1200-1300 and it will not down shift. the only thing that happens when i put the go pedal to the floor in this situation is i roal coal. lately i have been locking out o/d when in those situations and it does help but the truck will still lug some.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
askikr79,
your transmission is working correctly.
when you start out in D (your already in first gear,so the first shift you feel will be it going into 2nd.watch and counts your shifts again with this in mind.;) )
your converter is locking and unlocking like its supposed to.it locks up in 3rd gear around 35 mph,and then you'll feel your final shift into OD.
it is supposed to unlock when your hit the brakes.this is normal too.
there is also another clutch in there that you should feel when you let completely off the fuel.this is called the coast clutch.this puts the trans into a semi-neutral state for increased economy while coasting downhill (you should see the rpms fall right out of sight,and it should feel a little extra free at this point.)

'94IDITurbo7.3,
test/adjust your TPS/FIPL.

OLDBULL8,
canceling OD (overdrive/4th/economy/final gear) via the OD ON/OFF switch does not (shouldn't anyway.if yours is,something is wrong,as it should only lock out OD) effect the convertor lockup state.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i will check it out. pretty sure it is set at .99v. i really don't want to go anyhigher b/c it hangs on to each gear to long for my tastes when i have it set higher.

don't forget to keep the WOT within specks too.
test the sensor,via a sensor tester or a simple volt meter for any voltage drops/peaks through its entire range.it could be bad and not set a code.mine recently went bad and didn't set the TPS code.instead it set the converter slippage code (62) which i was able to diagnose (with the help of limp/safety mode) as just the results of a faulty TPS causing my converter to slip.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
don't forget to keep the WOT within specks too.
test the sensor,via a sensor tester or a simple volt meter for any voltage drops/peaks through its entire range.it could be bad and not set a code.mine recently went bad and didn't set the TPS code.instead it set the converter slippage code (62) which i was able to diagnose (with the help of limp/safety mode) as just the results of a faulty TPS causing my converter to slip.

i thought you could only set the spec on one or the other not both idle and WOT. my idle is at .99v, WOT=3.8V. smooth voltage increase and decrease.