Too cold???

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Okay, call me crazy, but I think my truck is running too cold? :dunno Now my temp gauge could be wrong, but I have been studying it for quite some time now, and I believe that it is reading out correctly. I mean don't get me wrong the truck is running GREAT. :thumbsup: Under highway operation the gauge reads at the lower end of the R of normal which seems okay I guess, but then when I'm on the back roads it drops WAY down like to the N or lower. Soooo I went ahead and did the old feel the hood test, and it was cold. High tech that was. Oh, BTW outside air temp is probly around 50 or so. Any thoughts on this guys? :confused:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sam-
double check the fan clutch to make sure it's disengaging.
seriously, I think you're just paranoid.;Sweetcookoo:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Install a real gauge and stop guessing... Really,, What does the "R" mean other than a place the needle is pointing. As Towcat posted... You really are not seeing anything out of the ordinary at all... Just get an EV Isspro 270 degree sweep gauge.... Part number RS5650 100 to 240 degree and only $121.22..... Really cheap for piece of mind...

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
idk dont think i've ever heard complaints about to cold but mine hasn't exceeded 180 yet but i haven't hit the rodeo road yet so that might change

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You really do need some aftermarket gauges in there. My truck runs usually around 190*, and my stock temp gauge barely goes past the first bar. Its the very farthest left bar, not even at the N, the one to the left of that. Yet I'm still up to temp. The only gauge I have any sort of sense that works alright, is my oil temp, and all thats telling me is my turbo has oil pressure (all be it, maybe 3psi LOL)

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sam-
double check the fan clutch to make sure it's disengaging.
It ain't the clutch - I have my fan locked to the water pump pulley, if I don't do that I overheat in slow traffic (not a fun thing when you're 300 miles from home and in a city where there ain't nowhere to just pull over and let her cool down), even with the fan blowing at full force my engine heats up just fine and the hood temperature is high enough to get the cold rain to steam off it when I park.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yep, you need some real gauges. I see my digital at various temps while the in dash one doesn't register the minor changes. My in dash never reaches the "N" either, even though I've seen my digital go as high as 220 on a long hard pull. My coolant temp gauge is VERY representative of EGT's though, and seems to register almost as fast with heavy pulls.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yep, you need some real gauges. I see my digital at various temps while the in dash one doesn't register the minor changes. My in dash never reaches the "N" either, even though I've seen my digital go as high as 220 on a long hard pull. My coolant temp gauge is VERY representative of EGT's though, and seems to register almost as fast with heavy pulls.

Is your sensor in the stock sensor's location? I have mine on top of the pump and it doesnt change very fast, I'm thinking it gets coolant from the radiator. Seems to me I'm going to swap out the locations in the future.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
- I have my fan locked to the water pump pulley

Please explain what you did.

I have the clutch "pinned" on several of my engines, all Cummins, by drilling/tapping the thicker portions of the clutch housings and forcing the internals to lock up by tightening bolts into these threaded holes, usually four bolts/holes per clutch, then safety-wiring the bolts so they can't back out.

Is this similar to what you have done, or do you have a better trick.

When I find them, I intend to get clutchless fan hubs.

I have not noticed any of the power losses or mileage losses that everyone assures me a direct-driven fan will yield.

By the way, I did this to better cool the A/C condensor at low engine/ground speeds; I wasn't having any coolant issues and can get by fairly well in cooler weather with no fan at all, so far as engine heat is concerned.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That fan is estimated to consume 11 HP. Take it for what it's worth. I don't think pinning it is the way to go. As for Sam, I can't believe you did all that serious towing with a guessigauge! :eek:

The factory gauge doesn't even begin to rise until the temp is 165!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Is your sensor in the stock sensor's location? I have mine on top of the pump and it doesnt change very fast, I'm thinking it gets coolant from the radiator. Seems to me I'm going to swap out the locations in the future.

It is now...I used the empty port in the head for my gauge, but didn't see much if any difference with either the factory idiot gauge or VDO digital in the water pump. I see a little quicker rise and fall in temp with it in the head, but overall, temps are the same.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Mine runs about 200F right on the nose...I have Autometer gauges for accuracy...LOL....Usually 1/2 way on the stock idiot gauge.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Hmmm okay I may be parranoid but had to ask!!!!! I can't justify buying gauges when my rear brakes needed doing.... which it's in the shop for right now... shoes, wheel cylinders and axle seals. I know I need gauges, my friend in florida can get me a good deal on some auto meters, which I guess I'm gunna have to go for even though I'd like isspros they are just that much more expensive. Anyways, the gauge does fluctuate quite a lot, ya know when towing or when empty, so I know it's working, just seemed a lil chilly, but trucks runnin great so I'll just carry on I guess!!!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory gauge doesn't even begin to rise until the temp is 165!

I think this must vary from truck to truck.

I have had a mechanical temperature gauge on my engine for a LONG time, SunPro 270*-sweep that starts at 100*.

The factory gauge starts moving at about 110* and moves steadily up to just past the N of NORMAL, which is 180* on the nose on the mechanical.

I have a 180* thermostat and have NEVER seen the gauge any higher than 180*, regardless of the load, hill, or weather, so I have no idea what temperatures the rest of ORMAL and above represent.LOL