Tons of blow by on my 6.2l diesel!!

J-ROD Diesel

Reaction score
Well iv about given up. I have a 1987 m1008 CUCV with the 6.2l detroit diesel in it. The problem is it blows allot of smoke (blow by) out of the oil filler tube. when i say it puffs it out i dont mean just a little here and there i mean you can see it running with the hood closed! The funny thing is it only does it at idle but as soon as you give it hardly any throttle it clears up immediatly? The engine was rebuilt about 9,000 miles ago and havent pulled anything real hard scince the rebuild. It has a banks turbo as well. I dont think its a cracked head as I have had them in the past and shows no signs of it. I have also run a block tester kit on it and came up clean with no exhaust in the radiator. what do you guys think?? a cracked ring maybe?? any help is apriciated!!:D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
blow-by is not measured at idle. it is measure just off idle to 900rpm. kinda hard to determine on a GM since we're not blessed with OEM tachs on this generation trucks. there's not enough mileage on the rebuild for you to condemn so soon. hang in there. the GM section is not as quiet as it appears. there's actually much in common with the detroit 6.2/6.5 and the IH 6.9/7.3.
research your questions and post when you can't find the answers in the archives.
welcome!

J-ROD Diesel

Reaction score
Thank you towcat! I have looked into almost every possible resource I have and have come up with nothing! I also own a 7.3l idi with 300,000+ miles on it with no smoke at all? I just figured I'd check here before I had to start tearin it down to see what's wrong with it.

J-ROD Diesel

Reaction score
Im not really sure to be honest. I just know it coming out of it like steam out a train whistle!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a vent on the earlier filler cap. it is for air intake.
later trucks have the CDR draw off the filler tube so the cap is a bad idea.
how is the condition of the CDR?

J-ROD Diesel

Reaction score
It is working perfectly just like it should. I replaced the system and there are no leaks in the lines.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is working perfectly just like it should. I replaced the system and there are no leaks in the lines.
then the only other thing to do is load the dogshit out of the truck and go find a steep hill and work the motor hard. you need to seat your rings.

J-ROD Diesel

Reaction score
Well I do live in the mountains and have pulled probably no more than 10,000lbs up some steep grades but didnt just floor it! The funny thing is it hasent started doing it except in the last couple hundred miles of the 9,000 scince the rebuild. thats the only reason I dont think its a ring not being seated and more like a faulty ring?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I do live in the mountains and have pulled probably no more than 10,000lbs up some steep grades but didnt just floor it! The funny thing is it hasent started doing it except in the last couple hundred miles of the 9,000 scince the rebuild. thats the only reason I dont think its a ring not being seated and more like a faulty ring?

if you have a bad ring you would have smooth idle issues. does it shake at idle?