Today is the big day for the TRAIN

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let the world know im taking on the Daunting but yet rewarding task of installing new IP, 8 new injectors, and return kit on my 1990 ford F-superduty rollback. I wanted to post a actual progress thread but my time has been super limited. I am almost positive i will need a little guidance and assistance. This is my first tow truck and im a fairly new business not have been in this industry prior to waking up one day and going for it!

I have read hundreds of post prior to taking on this adventure, feel free to drop any suggestions or pointers below i will be taking breaks in between injectors so ill check back several times to see. I want to thank all of you for just being members of such a great community! Without you all....... this would not be happening.

gandalf

Reaction score
The single most important and most informative article I've found is Mel's, on fuel system maintenance. It's in the Tech Article section at the top of this forum, located HERE. When I did my IP replacement I printed it out and kept it handy.

I really don't understand why it is buried as it is. It's a bit hard to find.

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hEY @gandalf ty so much for this! i actually looked for it last night , i should of bookmarked it, i dozed off at the desk looking for it lol

Got all injectors fairly easy. Had to go buy a 1 inch wrench from the pawn shop for $2.5 but another tool gained for my shop!
About to start putting the returns together .... easy as pie right?

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here is a little update. After 15 hours without many interruptions ( i own a roadside assistance company and got 6 tow calls while working on the non working tow truck lol ) Finally got everything together and starting priming the system. Starter kept sticking, after letting it cool down for 3 minutes with my 100amp engine start assistance hooked up, it stuck one last time and stayed engaged for a little over a minute. The smoke and smell was horrible....... my 17 yr old son who was assisting me was freaking out ( Im trying to teach him as we go ) he misplaced the batter terminal wrench ...... couldn't get the power disconnected so i just let it run itself to literally death *shrug* heading to oreillys to grab one in a few minutes.

QUESTION: after i remove the 2 bottom bolts off the starter, do i remove the larger bolt on the trans side?? i looked up a few tech articles but i am not understanding if i have what is called a torque plate??

mbarry98

Reaction score
To remove the starter there is a third bolt above it. Its a little difficult to get to depending on your starter style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE

After getting it fired up yesterday and letting it run for over an hour it would start once shut off. 2 hours after last shut off it would not start, i only tried 2 starter cycles but that was expected. I am going to thoroughly tighten all of the fuel lines as suggested a million times on here and hope to get it fixed today. I do have a small relay that sits to the left of the IP right below the fuel filter. I have no idea what it is for. The top of it is swollen which tells me it has suffered from heat or shorting out. I cannot seem to find one on Oreillys indicating what it could be. My glow plugs are still not functioning - it is clicking throughout the full cycle. New plugs (tested for resistance by an associate) new module/solenoid. Could this relay mentioned be a culprit??

other issues hoping to fix soon:
- Power steering pump not working at all, was dry, when we added fluid it just poured out of the bottom. I cannot see the leak because my belt driven hydraulic pump is mounted above it :-( could this be a line issue? The only way for me to access it is to figure out how to HOLD the Hydro pump up and out of the way, may use a small ratchet strap.

- Trans had not a fking drop of fluid .... smh. i should of checked ALL fluid levels before letting it run so long, my mistake, i let excitement cloud my judgement. Getting a case today to have on hand at my shop.

- Brakes were super hard. I would imagine from it sitting so long everything, caliper pistons and fluid is stiff. Going to bleed out all of the lines. I am not sure if there is a CORRECT way to drain brake lines, i know how to properly bleed them just never had to refresh the lines, OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS!!! Thanks in advance!

- I have a guy coming with a diesel timing light so he says, told him im not paying a dime if its not the correct light, luckily, i graduated from 7.3idi youtube university last Thursday night with a bachelors in setting timing on a 7.3 LOL!!!

- I need a passenger side headlight, the one on it, the top mounting brackets are broke on the left and right side. I would not mind putting money in a forum members pocket before ordering one elsewhere. call me if you have one 706-617-0075

- Hydraulic system is slow and my levers are so worn out they are not actuating correctly. I dont know a dam thing about most of this and dont have the capital from my business to just get it repaired at a FULL SERVICE shop that works on these systems. All suggestions are welcome guys!

- Something is draining my batteries. QUESTION are these engines in general known for a specific wire shorting out somewhere (i know some older models are, not ford specific ) that could be causing the draining. I have checked radio and the more simpler things. Underneath i do have some wires that look like a cluster FWORD right behind the cab below my bedlocks that are exposed, i will try and follow them and see what i come up with.

- Install LED brakelights. IF anyone sells them on here shoot me a pm and ill see if what you have will work.

- Paint the bed rails probably industrial black
- Paint the cab our new AutoTech Lock and Tow colors.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
If the power steering is just dumping out it could be a lot of things. I would make sure the connections are good first though and tighten the fittings. It could also be the reservoir is cracked or the oring failed. If it was run with no oil in it any length of time the pump is probably shot. They don't take well to not having enough fluid.

For the brakes it sounds like a faulty vacuum pump or bad line somewhere would be the most likely culprit. See if you can get a vacuum gage on it to see where it is at.

One common place for a drain and general problem is the external voltage regulator for the alternator. I don't know for sure if you have one but I would take a close look at it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That relay thing isn't that important. It's for the water in fuel light. I think they all look like that.
For the brake lights, show me what you have now.
For the brakes, I just keep bleeding and topping off the fluid until clean clear new fluid comes out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Burnt ground wire?

This is connected to the passenger wheel well. There was another black ground wire going thru the harness, i cut the plastic off the harness to follow the wire, it goes into a hardened sleeve or something. I am not sure if this plug piece connected to the burned wire, just thought i would post it and ask what its significance is

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin