Today is the big day for the TRAIN

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brakes are NFG because pw st pump aint working. Your brakes are hydroboost and require fluid pressure from power steering pump to function

Since yer a youtube tech check out rebuilding hydralic controls...for the deck and stinger n winch

Did you replace the olives in the fuel system when you did return lines n such? If not those could be part of izsue

Get a wrench and socket and dind out if glow plugs come out and what brand. If not beru get 8 new beru. Install em and work back fro gp to co troler to rdlay and so on.

2 x 10gua yellow wires on pass side fender that feed gp relay often eff up at plug causing problems.

As said pick am end and work to other end so I like to start with gp and work ba k to battery myself. Rplace and repair as needed.

Ps pump could be a bad return lkne fitting cracked housing...bad o ring...get a good light and lay under find the return line from ps gear box...see if connected? If so have son add fluid watch for leak.

O ring for reservior is simple to change once u get hyd pump out of way.

Remove pressure line and fitting...carfukl not lose plunger and spring...remove w magnet...carefully twist plastic reservior and remove. O ring is obvious ...replace and reverse order to assemble.

Good luck

Last edited:

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to remove bolts holding hydro pump to get it out of the way to access the pw steering pump in the morning. I hope its something simple but..... this truck, once it is up and running will not be able to afford to be down for long. I have 5 active contracts with insurance companies and i just need to do everything right the first time so there are no repercussions weeks or months from now. Thank you so much for confirming the hydroboost brake system. I have never known anything about hydroboost but gonna study it after i post this.

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well well well......... ALOT has been worked on since my last update. Im going to look for some pics and just try my best to do a full update tomorrow, cold outside and i just found the hydroboost leak -cuss

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
waynetrain,

Sounds like you're making good progress. - I suspect that that will be a GREAT truck when it's finished.

Best Wishes, satx

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to replace hydroboost since it was the factory one, no rebuild kit readily available. Got it on my Oreillys commercial account for $175. Now i noticed some oil leaking, have not checked to see if its from the rear seal or not. Is it possible on these purdy things to replace rear seal fairly easy?
I am looking to start sanding it down this week and get it ready for some new yellow or electric blue paint!!!
I have been searching for a decent air compressor for my shop, found a porter cable at Tractor Supply for $498 but procrastinating trying to find a better deal.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sounds like ream main since he bought a whole new hydro unit.
If so, you have to pull the trans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir, referring to the rear main possibly leaking. Going to tighten up the oil pan bolts if its not raining in the morning. Overall i am truly amazed at how smooth it runs, i still have not had the timing set.
- I noticed today that on top of the mechanical fuel pump looks like fuel. With the glow plug module clicking the whole duration cycle it is super hard to start but i think its actually a fuel issue since its warm here with this bipolar Georgia weather.
QUESTION - Would it be a bad idea to run New Rubber fuel line from the tank to a new mechanical FP ? (I have one just didnt want to replace it unless it showed signs of being bad)
I have read alot of you have run the Mr Gasket electrical, since my funds are tight i could take the mechanical back and add $35 to it and get the electrical to ensure a quicker start while in the process of fixing any air suction allowing fuel to drain back to tank. < ------------ oh shttttttt! i feel smart!!! Learned this from you all! My son .... everyday says, how do they know all of this?? I tell him quit trying to take a nap in the office while im out in the dam rain trying to bleed brakes solo and read the forums lol :p
THATS HOW!

You must be registered for see images attach

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Why do we know so much.
Well we're just a group of weirdos from all walks of life that have a unhealthy obsession with idi trucks. We're family over here
I've been on the Chevy forums for my Chevy but try and find that family like we have not a chance.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There probably isnt a larger collective knowledge base on these old trucks anywhere..we know so much cause we eat breathe sleep work and internet these damn things.

BTW @Waystro...thats cause they are chev heads not Ford blue bloods...its not just in our head its in our blood and dna