TO THE PEOPLE RUNNING SPECTRUM STYLE AIR FILTERS......

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tearing my truck down for a FMIC and other mods...

IF YOU HAVE THIS TYPE OF AIR CLEANER SYSTEM, DELETE IT ASAP!!!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

i took my intake hat off to weld a 2" aluminum stub to it, so i can attach a boot.
i came across this....
I FOUND THIS.....

DO NOT USE THESE TYPES OF FILTERS!!!!!

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:***: What does that freakin thing filter out then anyway? Rocks, large insects and small children? And people are concerned about the K&N filters letting dust through...

I sure hope your turbo isn't damaged much from that..

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im having one rebuilt in the near future.
im sure glad i found this before i installed it....

i thought a filter was a filter.
clearly, all filters are not created equal.
i know a few are running these.
thought i would get it out on the air before it caused any real damage

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Contact S&B in Ontario Ca. On their web site you can design any filter you want. Several years ago I took my Banks sidewinder cone filter to them and explained how it was not working. I told them what I wanted and they made me 2 of them. One is always clean and ready for use. My charge was free if.. I gave them my Banks filter.. HMMMMM. Ok.. Its a deal......:angel:

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035GS6RU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a Spectre brand. Got the idea from a couple of others on the site, who were using the same deal. Mine I have connected to my hypermax cowl induction, so I'm guessing it takes in fairly clean air to start with. However, I will definitely keep an eye on things. I have checked it once since install, after running it for probably 4-5 months, and really couldn't see anything to worry about.

What brand of filter is that??? I know you say it's a Spectrum (sic) style, but is that the brand as well??

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Spectre makes a good filter and just because yours may have failed, does not mean you should tell EVERYONE not to use them.

You don't see the guys that have had engine failure running around telling everyone not to buy a Navistar brand engine.

It is incredibly common to have a product that is MASS-PRODUCED fail. For those of us in the service industry, we've seen this many many times, new parts can be bad right out of the package, the NEW lift pump i put on my truck was bad, you don't see me telling everyone not to buy parts that are DELPHI brand products.

You could quite possibly have a hole from improper install or manufacturer defect as well as a leaky/bad seal or seem.

Ive ran a spectra on my turbo sports car for years, the intake is spotless.

Ive been running one on my plow truck well over a year and its COVERED IN SALT and i mean COVERED! and the intake pipe that is very ridged (would definitely catch dust and debris) is clean.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035GS6RU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a Spectre brand. Got the idea from a couple of others on the site, who were using the same deal. Mine I have connected to my hypermax cowl induction, so I'm guessing it takes in fairly clean air to start with. However, I will definitely keep an eye on things. I have checked it once since install, after running it for probably 4-5 months, and really couldn't see anything to worry about.

What brand of filter is that??? I know you say it's a Spectrum (sic) style, but is that the brand as well??

that filter is less than 2 weeks old...
now that i have looked at it, i can see right through it, even on the side that wasnt tinted with dust.

they are ment for the ricer people. ill let them have it, i dont want this cheap garbage infecting my moose motivation!

Last edited:

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to add another 6637 (75 gallon drum) air filter setup to my newest addition to the family. It is pricey and I question price over quality depending on the application. I appreciate the info. I need to stick with what's good and what works..... Now if I can just fit it under the hood....LOL

joe f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did u oil the filterlike they say do do on ther packaging

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm and just HOW does this list work? Dinosaurs like me wanna know?

go to the users profile, and youll see an option "add to ignore list"

i dont usually ignore people, but i dont have time for children that are not my own.

I'm looking to add another 6637 (75 gallon drum) air filter setup to my newest addition to the family. It is pricey and I question price over quality depending on the application. I appreciate the info. I need to stick with what's good and what works..... Now if I can just fit it under the hood....LOL
you can always snorkel it to the back of the bed LOL

joe, yes it was oiled with the K&N oil.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can always snorkel it to the back of the bed LOL

Not bad! I don't want to limit the amount of air it can get though... Clearly that thing can take in the same amount of air as a 747 turbine so I'm thinkin' roof mount.
A quick anecdote regarding mounting the 6637 in a 7.3 IDIT and then I'll get outta your thread...

Some neanderthal 40 something halfwit decided to strike up a Ford vs. Chevy argument with me and started it by saying "never seen PVC in an engine compartment before." Geez, so you're gonna throw the ace on your first turn? Let's play poker and bring you're wife's jewelry too!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how many miles on the intake before the filter in question?
Was it cleaned prior to running this filter?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that you care what i have to say idiot but to those that appreciate good info/advice:

lemme guess' you have a bajillion likes over on hd forums " right" ???

His children comment wasn't aimed at you...

That filter may have worked fine for a lower displacement engine, but look at the CFM that the 7.3 sucks down and you'll see that it needs a much larger filter. I'm pretty sure Garrett has a calculator on their website.

Figure that the IDI just sucked that crap right through, when say a 2 liter would not have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online