TO THE PEOPLE RUNNING SPECTRUM STYLE AIR FILTERS......

The Bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!

Man, my old style OEM round filter is the bomb!

That aside, just think how much more relevant air filtration is to theses newer techno diesels. A little oops and your system is *****!

Damn I'm glad have an IDI!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't really want to resurrect an old thread but this is the most appropriate I could find.

I used the largest spectre filter autozone sold for many years, clean intake inside and the filter media was clean inside still. i just upgraded to a 6637 napa filter with a filter bag over it and noticed it is more restrictive. I lost about 1-2psi when I topped out at 6-7 (now 5, 5.5), and gained a bit on EGTs too. Haven't tried towing yet but now I'm on the search for a higher flow filter. Maybe my engine will be safer from better filtration at least.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't really want to resurrect an old thread but this is the most appropriate I could find.

I used the largest spectre filter autozone sold for many years, clean intake inside and the filter media was clean inside still. i just upgraded to a 6637 napa filter with a filter bag over it and noticed it is more restrictive. I lost about 1-2psi when I topped out at 6-7 (now 5, 5.5), and gained a bit on EGTs too. Haven't tried towing yet but now I'm on the search for a higher flow filter. Maybe my engine will be safer from better filtration at least.
I personally use he cheapest Spectre/K&N knockoff filters I can get on Ebay. The key is to oil the **** out of them - Ignore the instructions which say to just use a little oil; use as much as will stay in the filter.

On a newer truck, too much oil might cause issues with sensors... we don't have any sensors.

I've pulled off multiple really filthy filters; inside was spotless.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to add here is that K&N filter oil sucks. Every time I have used it, I have had a dusty oily intake system in multiple vehicles that I have had in the past. I'm also not a huge fan of K&N filters. Much rather have a dryflow AEM.
I use a good quality dirt bike filter oil (spray on). It's more tacky and works quite well.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally use he cheapest Spectre/K&N knockoff filters I can get on Ebay. The key is to oil the **** out of them - Ignore the instructions which say to just use a little oil; use as much as will stay in the filter.

On a newer truck, too much oil might cause issues with sensors... we don't have any sensors.

I've pulled off multiple really filthy filters; inside was spotless.

Our experiences have been the same.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every oiled filter I have ever pulled off an engine has been dusty and grimey inside. Don't know how y'all are getting good results with them when I can see daylight through the filter media on a K&N. I guess our desert climate here doesn't help but that's really surprising to hear, I only use dry filters