Timing w/o a meter?

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Sometime this Spring, I hope to get a new IP and injectors ( hopefully from Mel). Any help/experience in timing it "by ear" until I can get up to Mel's garage and have it Properly timed.?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I've done this a few times, the easiest way to describe this process is for you to visualize how a powerstroke engine sounds. The combustion event is louder, more of a "crack" to it the farther advanced the timing is.

What I do is gradually nudge the IP towards the passenger side until I get the "powerstroke crackle" with 12 volts applied to the cold idle advance (the terminal closest to the firewall on the IP) Then remove the 12 volts and it should quiet down considerably. Make sure every time you move the IP you tighten at least a couple nuts back down before starting the engine though.

I always start with the IP static timing marks lined up and work from there. Generally at the static timing mark you get at least a little "powerstroke crackle" with the cold idle advance energized. You don't want to hear the "powerstroke crackle" too much at idle or else it will start to consume glow plug tips...

Good luck!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Running with a retarded timing is not going to "hurt" the engine like too much advance can. As posted above... Listen for the sound.. That sound every prius driver calls a noise... It will sound off for you so make adjustments in small moves. Also mark where you started from. Then you can get back to what sounded better to you.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snapping the throttle can help you judge also. Response should be crisp. If it lags, then you are probably too retarded. With a properly timed pump, a cold engine should sound so rattly that you really don't want to drive it until it warms up.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snapping the throttle can help you judge also. Response should be crisp. If it lags, then you are probably too retarded. With a properly timed pump, a cold engine should sound so rattly that you really don't want to drive it until it warms up.

LOLLOLLOLLOL cookoo LOLLOLLOL

I love that kind of advice!!!!

Hit that beeeatch til it's ready to explode..... then drive it!!!

Sorry man, that description just hit my funny bone.

That's awesome bruthah! You made my day! I feel so much better about my cold start sounds now! ;Sweet

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
When you snap the throttle, there should be a small puff of black smoke. Any blue or white, then its probably retarded.