Timing tool rental??

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my brother a 94 factory turbo idi, and I was wanting to check the timing but no one is listed as having the tools nearby. Is there a place to rent a tool at, or is ebay and the ferret adapter the best bets. Thank you in advance I have learned a lot already and have been lurking a while, just decided I needed to join the site so I don't have to type that answer in every time I do a search.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theres a member here that provides a tool rental, theres a fee and of course shipping.
he will chime in sooner than later.
if i were you, id become a supporting member to show him that you're serious.
altho its not required, im a firm believer in giving credit where credit is due.
a 15 dollar donation dont get you much, but the satisfaction youve already gotten outweighs the cost.
this site has saved me many many headaches. and helping keep the site alive gives the supporting members a little pride;Really

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
theres a member here that provides a tool rental, theres a fee and of course shipping.
he will chime in sooner than later.
if i were you, id become a supporting member to show him that you're serious.
altho its not required, im a firm believer in giving credit where credit is due.
a 15 dollar donation dont get you much, but the satisfaction youve already gotten outweighs the cost.
this site has saved me many many headaches. and helping keep the site alive gives the supporting members a little pride;Really

You just inspired me to support the forum, many headaches and bad days have been saved! I remember seeing a tech article about the timing, I still don't understand why you need it. When I took my Injection Pump off to have it rebuilt, I just ensured all the timing marks were lined up and my truck runs extremely smooth! Not even a haze comes outta the tail pipe! I guess if you wanted to advance your timing a little or get it precise you would want a timing tool right?

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just don't know the previous history on the truck so I thought it would be best to see where I'm at, kind of like changing all the fluids to me, to me it is cheap insurance. As far as becoming a supporting member, I can't seem to find out where to do it on my phone, I'll have to do it when I get to a desktop, thanks for reminding to give credit where it is due, you cannot fit all this info in a book nor would I have anywhere to store a book that big

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
How does the engine run/sound, does it smoke? Changing the fluids are a excellent idea!

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck runs good, it did smoke on startup, which was bad glow plugs and a bad ground on the relay, all that is sorted and it will fire right up with no smoke, the lines on the injection pump and housing are straight up, but the pump looks newer and the injectors and return lines look brand new. It also seems to take a lot of pedal to get her to move, which could be the squished pipe the turbo has to push air through.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TIMING IS EVERYTHING!
when i got my truck, it ran great, but i had a little bit of sluggish operation off idle.
as i had never delt with an IDI at this time, i did alot of reading, i wanted this truck to run like a ***** ape.
i did all i could do with what i had, i took my truck to another oil burner member who was very experienced,
it cost me a penny, but i talked his ear off and got alot of usefull information.
after he timed my truck... all i could say is OMG. every RPM range was improved, the truck starts up and sounds really pissed off.
then the high idle kicks off and shes tames down and runs AWESOME!
nothing like banging gears in a well tuned IDI!
i cannot explain exactly how it makes the truck run. but once you get your timing to 7* @ 2000 prms, you will know exactly what im talking about when you come off the line.
i do not have my pump turned up. and i only blow smoke when im under a load.
mostly when i short shift out of first, and romp on the throttle leaving some asstard in the next lane in a plume of haze.

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think this quote from one of Mel's write ups sums up well the importanceof proper timing:

"... a final comment, with regard to pump timing. A properly timed pump can make the difference between a great truck which the owner loves to drive and wants to keep, and a truck that the owner feels he may have wasted his money on.* In almost all cases, when the injection pump mark is aligned with the mark provided on the pump gear housing (known as being “static timed”), the pump will be retarded several degrees.* The result is a smooth running engine, with very clear exhaust and the owner may find the performance to be satisfactory.* However, until the pump is advanced to 8.5 degrees (factory spec) BTDC using the pulse method, the true performance of the engine will not be realized.* A properly timed engine (which has been dynamically timed with special equipment) will have significantly more pick up, and much better fuel economy that one that is static timed.* It will also smoke a bit more!* Therefore, in order to get the most out of your new fuel system, it is highly recommended that you seek out a qualified shop to perform dynamic timing on your truck.* Use caution!* Many shops “time by ear” and do not have the actual equipment.* I consider myself to do very well timing by ear, but I have found that I can be as much as 2 degrees off.* Factory spec allows for 1 degree of deviation.* Get a shop that has a good and valid timing meter for the job!* You really can’t substitute the functionality of a good quality tool."

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Ohhhhhh wow..... Now I am going to have to figure this out! Before I install my turbo kit... Time to start calling around.... I have a feeling this isn't gonna be cheap, and I just spent a ton of money on parts.... Hmmmm.... We shall see...

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the guy who rents the timing tools name is Gary, his username is icanfixall, get in touch with him.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I am the member that has established the timing meter rental program for members here. My fee is $70.00 for a 5 day rental and if more time is required then an additional fee of $35.00 is needed for 5 more days. Most can do the timing in an hour but I felt your time is important. so its 5 days. Very few actually need more than 5 days. Its a simple job and only 2 probes are connected to the engine. Those locations are cleaned to bare metal for best results. The meter looks complex but its simple. Just connect to power and the engine. Press one rocker switch and start the engine. hand rev to 2000 rpm and read the display for degrees of timing and rpm. Shut down the engine and make a timing adjustment. NEVER try to adjust timing while the engine is running. some utube vids show this method using a 3/4 inch wrench and a turn buckle. If the wrench slips the twisting torque of the pump making pressure to pop open an injector will cause the pump to crash over to the limit stops on the pump. That sudden stop will snap the injection pump main shaft. then you have no core value in the braoken pump. I give my cell number to those that are renting the meters. You can call me day or nite with problems during timing. I have no idea when you will be working on your engine so I feel I'm on your schedule for help. Its really not a problem calling me after dark no matter what. Its my service to you. Hope this helps others to understand how this system works.

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
icanfixall, i sent you a pm, hopefully ill have time after the holidays to check/set the timing, but to anyone else out there, is there a special wrench I should get to make loosening the bolts easier, or should I buy a harbor freight wrench and grind it/ heat and bend it? I am also now a supporting member, I have joined many forums and all I can say is oilburners.net has the best info out there that pertain to the idi trucks. This is the first diesel truck I have worked on, I work on locomotives for a living and that is where the passion for a truck came from, but I dont need a truck just as long as I keep my dad's and brother's trucks running!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
icanfixall, i sent you a pm, hopefully ill have time after the holidays to check/set the timing, but to anyone else out there, is there a special wrench I should get to make loosening the bolts easier, or should I buy a harbor freight wrench and grind it/ heat and bend it? I am also now a supporting member, I have joined many forums and all I can say is oilburners.net has the best info out there that pertain to the idi trucks. This is the first diesel truck I have worked on, I work on locomotives for a living and that is where the passion for a truck came from, but I dont need a truck just as long as I keep my dad's and brother's trucks running!

as i dont count guilt trips into getting people to become supporting members is valid, i do have 2 members that i traded parts with to become supporting members.:thumbsup:
you are 100% correct this site is the worlds leading IDI forum! and i support it 100%.
i plan on owning my IDI for a very very long time, as i have just made this beast into a monster, see my threads if interested.

as far as a wrench, calvin had a nifty little 1/4 plate tool that looked as if it was lazer cut. but he also told me that it was pretty expensive.
i took a 9/16 wrench and used a cut off wheel to make the closed end of the box end wrench skinnier.
worked great for me,
i wouldnt cut up a HF tool, the material you use to modify it will cost more than the tool, because we all know HF tools break.
modify a good wrench, then throw it in your glove box, for the next time you need it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My timing rentals come with both tools for the timing. There is a pump turning tool on ebay for $112.00 or Jason who's name here is freebird007 make s very nice pump turning tool. I had dinner with him out here a few years ago and he took home my wrench. He now makes the wrench for members. I believe the cost is either 35 or 45 bucks. CRS these days. Sorry site too cause I can't remember. Funny thing about memory. Yesterday I read something on man home page about older men having *** at least twice a week. It improves your memory.. Well good grief I could have told the wifey that. Had some interesting ideas but its not well accepted by the wifey. If you rent my meter just copy the wrenches if you can. Probably not going to be able to do a good job on the pmp turning wrench but the 9/16 wrench is easy. Just heat and bend. Then grind to fit.

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My timing rentals come with both tools for the timing. There is a pump turning tool on ebay for $112.00 or Jason who's name here is freebird007 make s very nice pump turning tool. I had dinner with him out here a few years ago and he took home my wrench. He now makes the wrench for members. I believe the cost is either 35 or 45 bucks. CRS these days. Sorry site too cause I can't remember. Funny thing about memory. Yesterday I read something on man home page about older men having *** at least twice a week. It improves your memory.. Well good grief I could have told the wifey that. Had some interesting ideas but its not well accepted by the wifey. If you rent my meter just copy the wrenches if you can. Probably not going to be able to do a good job on the pmp turning wrench but the 9/16 wrench is easy. Just heat and bend. Then grind to fit.

Thank you so much for offering this service, payment has been sent. It will just be a huge piece of mind to know that the timing is where it should be, and the fact that I dont have to gamble on an ebay piece which I do not know the condition of. But maybe after using and seeing your piece, I might be more inclined to try and ebay one out, I would just like to get an idea of what I am getting myself into. Thanks again.