Timing meter

motoneil

Reaction score
Based on my other thread, it appears that I need a timing meter. Anyone in the Salt Lake City area have one for use? I have checked a few shops and they want to do it by ear.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
You may want to check with Icanfixall, he rents them, for $50.00 + shipping or you can come and use mine, but thats a long drive.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You experience is a common one. Most shops don't have the proper equipment and just guess at it by listening to the sound change as the timing changes. No need to give a shop money to just guess at your timing. You could do that for free at home.:D

The other problem is the meters needed to time these are hard to find. A good number of member have used a different but accurate way to time these without the traditional diesel timing memter.

They use a digital timing light and a ferret adaptor. The ferret clamps to the #1 injection line and picks up the pulse of fuel during injection and translates that into a signal that can be used on a timing light. You use the timing light to tell where your timing is at by watching the timing mark on the harmonic balancer and adjusting the light pulse up or down. When the mark is at zero on the balancer that is where your timing is set. I know this sounds very confusing. Sorry. It's much easier to understand if you see that setup in action. Maybe someone can explain the ferret adaptor better for you.:dunno

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online