Timing How To?

grapeape

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a good description on how to go about retiming the P7100 pump. Cummins did it for me 2 months ago after I replaced the gear case housing on my 97 and it hasn't ran as good as it did before. Not nearly the horsepower it used to have, the smoke is down quite about though.

grapeape

Reaction score
Thanks for the info but is this the be all end all on how to determine degrees BTDC. (i.e. the plunger hieght method) and if so is there a way to makeshift a method of measuring plunger height without the proper dial indicator. Can you identify degrees BTDC off the flywheel though an inspection cover above the barring tool hole? And if so is this accurate? Lastly, has anyone had trouble with the timing gear seating on the pump shaft my original problem was the KDP falling out, me replacing the gear case housing and being unable to seat the gear on the shaft without it spinning under acceleration. I hauled it to Cummins and they too had no luck with getting this gear to stay on tha shaft, they replace the gear and that seems to be working but needless to say I'm a little gunshy about removing this gear again.

ndurbin

Reaction score
It's absolutely critical that the pump shaft is clean and dry when the gear goes back on (no oil or dirt). Spray the shaft down with Brake-clean and then use an air gun to blow it off, repeat that atleast 2 times. Could it be possible the shaft threads are stripped and letting the nut back off?

You can do it by measuring the crankshaft pulley and moving the pulley a certain distance and thats equal to the degrees of timing once you know TDC. Never done it this way myself but I can see alot more going wrong in doing it that way. You can mark the pulley to a marker when you use the dial indicator for future reference in finding TDC and another mark for timing.

Nathan

DieselDood78

Reaction score
I would say don't try to set your timing without the proper tools. I have tried other methods, and had poor results.

Josh

grapeape

Reaction score
I have decided to time with the plunger height method. I orderd this tool kit from Snap On and hope to have it this week. 215.00 dollars. I think this new gear will stay put, I've had luck so far with it. Hopefully I'll have guages in the truck this week as well so I can do some testing with it.

EXSTROKER

Reaction score
who knows of some one in the southern ca area that will do my timing for pay..
97 stock just got it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle