Timing gear cover seal leaking...

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Should I use a speedi-sleeve or just get a new seal? Kind of weary about putting front seals in after trying to put one on a 5.9 cummins. Had one helluva time getting it on. Directions with pictures would be nice if anyone had any. Just don't wanna tear it apart and not be able to get it in!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Do the speedi sleeve. The sleeve fits on the dampner anyway. Mel, who goes by agnem here just did this job.... Twice. Do a search for it. I think it was last week and lots of great info given by some guys with plenty of "time on the clock" helping others...

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
I was wondering... will the seal fit with that extra thickness of the sleeve? i know with just the seal its a tight fit

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Is the Crankshaft seal, or the timing cover seal leaking. I don't know of any speedi sleave for the timing gear cover. The IP has an o-ring that can be replaced.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah if your talking about the crankshaft damper seal, it's not a bad job. Takes about 1-1/2 hour total. Get the special installation tool. Without it, you may need to take your radiator out as you do not have room to swing a hammer. But with the tool, no hammering is needed. Definitely get a speedi sleeve, as it seems to me the reason these things start leaking is not so much because the seal goes bad, but rather because of the groove in the damper. I did not have a speedi sleeve, and ended up swapping dampers. But I need to find a speedi-sleeve that works, as most seem to require machining the damper to install them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online