Time for a clutch change

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, It appears my old '89 has a dual mass flywheel that needs changing. I can go to Autozone and purchase a kit. Do I need to change the flywheel to accommodate a single mass clutch replacement?
Ive never run across this issue before. Give me heads up on what to look for. This 63 year old body is giving out and this will be my last clutch change Im sure.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
SMF clutch kit, at least the LUK kit comes with flywheel, bolts, pressure plate, friction plate, release bearing and pilot bearing.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've seen it said that the pilot and throw out (release) bearings aren't real great these days. You should buy new Timken bearings before installing the kit.
Do I need to change the flywheel to accommodate a single mass clutch replacement?
Yes. Going by what you said, you are already changing the flywheel. So a new clutch is best. Your current clutch may not work with the new flywheel. I'll second the Luk kit the Nero mentioned with the other bearings like I mentioned.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oreillys lists a clutch set that is for a OEM dual mass flywheel, but I believe Ill remove the old clutch first , then purchase the correct kit. So as soon as the Domestic Goddess cuts loose some coin of the Realm, ol' mexicanjoe is gonna twist wrenches one more time.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"This 63 year old body is giving out and this will be my last clutch change Im sure." -mexicanjoe

I am 75 years and I still do a fair amount of mechanic work. I am sure I will not change a clutch on these trucks. I remember doing this when I was much younger and it was a JOB and HALF! Oil changes and normal maintenance is plenty!

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iam 80 did a Clutch first of the year.
Hey guys, it`s just a number.
Dec I was at PNP gutting the interior of a 82 Mercedes 300D, dropped the Diff and axles along with the Fuel Tank, Inst Cluster and Blower Motor.
Too much to do to slow down, keeps me young......along with chasing my young Wife around the house...that`s a full time job. -Showtits

Goat

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"This 63 year old body is giving out and this will be my last clutch change Im sure." -mexicanjoe

I am 75 years and I still do a fair amount of mechanic work. I am sure I will not change a clutch on these trucks. I remember doing this when I was much younger and it was a JOB and HALF! Oil changes and normal maintenance is plenty!

Iam 80 did a Clutch first of the year.
Hey guys, it`s just a number.
Dec I was at PNP gutting the interior of a 82 Mercedes 300D, dropped the Diff and axles along with the Fuel Tank, Inst Cluster and Blower Motor.
Too much to do to slow down, keeps me young......along with chasing my young Wife around the house...that`s a full time job. -Showtits

Goat
I'm 43, the next clutch job will be done by my son's......... while I sit in the shade in a white suit and large brimed hat sipping sweet tea, coaching them..... that's how we do it in the "dirty dirty south".....lol!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7