Time for a 12v?

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking it's time for a cummins swap, my truck is burning a gallon of oil every 1000 miles even after valve seals, an auto rx treatment, and a new cdr(it did improve though from a gallon in about 500 miles). I guess it needs rings despite testing consistently between 420 and 450 psi compression. Don't worry though I'm going to build/ rebuild the motor on a stand for a short bed f150... Anyway I know there is a guy on here who did a similar swap, any tips?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Darrin Tosh and a couple of others have done this 12 v swap. They might offer information too. Treats has decided to do this swap too.

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One tip...buy a donor instead of individual componets.I am nearing the end of a 4bt swap into a M 715.Cummins parts are somewhat pricey,esp 5 spds.I just found a 97 12 valve p pump out of a bus for 1200 with a ally 545.Could sell the trans and adapter for 600.

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I am wondering if there would be interference with the heater box on our trucks.The turbo resides there if you use a first gen motor.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They sell a manifold specifically for swaps that moves the turbo a little, and I'm going to buy an adapter to run my zf with the cummins since I'm not looking to get a ton of power. I was thinking about a donor truck but around here that would be more money, a running 2nd cummins with a blown auto and a rotted body goes for around 4k

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Repowering this old Jeep has been a nightmare for me.I put a 406 sm chevy in it first (yawn) but with 5.88 gears I needed overdive.Ranger gear splitter worked great but slid gasser forward 7.5".Would get stuck on wet grass(plus a pto winch truck,heavy on the nose) then came a 1993 6bt/Getrag.After wrestling with it for a weekend,it became quite apparent that the length of the motor was gonna make it noseheavy again.Sell 6bt,purchase 4bt.Was gonna do the Getrag 5spd into divorced 200 case it came with.No go.Too far forward again.Trade 5sp for 46rh/205.Mistake.I rode in one.No way cutting 500 in driveshafts for that sad sack of automatic.Finally scored a fresh 360 Getrag with a 205(married,not half shaft) and shafts,already have good clutch and flywheel from the 6.Finally gonna get her going in next few weeks.

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man! I love my IDI but I've been driving an older dodge 5.9 company vehicle for work and I gotta say I'm starting to fall for it a little. A swap just seems like the best of both worlds. It's like your wife with your secretary's body. Or is it your wife's body with your secretary's...

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
They sell a manifold specifically for swaps that moves the turbo a little, and I'm going to buy an adapter to run my zf with the cummins since I'm not looking to get a ton of power. I was thinking about a donor truck but around here that would be more money, a running 2nd cummins with a blown auto and a rotted body goes for around 4k

The special manifold is a tractor manifold. Another route is to flip the exhaust manifold over and reclock the turbo.

If you are using a ZF don't waist your time with the whole Goat. You don't need it.

I picked up a 93 Cummins for dirt cheap because I didn't want the rust pile with it. A little shopping around something will turn up.:D

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am assuming he(op) wants to do a nice job,as the adapter plate alone is $850,plus a clutch and flywheel is going to run $1k plus and Im not sure a bread truck flywheel would work.Usually with a whole truck you can get the timing computer for the grid heater as well as the solenoids,intercooler piping and intercooler,starter wires,voltage regulator wiring plus regulator,tach wiring,air cleaner and piping,hard lines for coolant to heater core above ex manifold,clutch master/slave and lines ...and the list goes on.I have done a lot of engine swaps and buying/sourcing all that stuff with travel gets expensive.Usually,you can strip a rust bucket,sell the spares(trans,rear ends ect) and crush the rest and come out ahead.But,I live in the heart of diesel country and the rust belt as well.They are everywhere here.

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually,Ive got more in this old idi that I can get a rusty cummins for..but I love that idi sound/simplicity.A running/driving rusty 5spd 2nd gen here runs 25-3500.But will be flappin in the wind.If not after big power,save your $ and buy a first gen/ve pump.They always get the best mpg's in my opinion and still make killer down low tq.Actually about 250-300 rpm lower than a p pump.VE has a narrower rpm band though

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm going to do it right, and track speeder, I'm looking for a p-pumped motor, I have found one locally for $1500 so I may go with that. and wellused you can't even find an nv4500 transmission for that price in the northeast, a friend of mine just drove to New Jersey to buy an nv4500 with a transfer case for $1700 and it needs a complete rebuild and yet everybody is amazed at how good of a deal that is, I bought my complete driving zf donor truck for 500. And I do love the idi and already have dumped a lot of parts into it, that's why I'm going to put it on a stand and do a full rebuild and put it in another truck.. As for the same your money and buy a first gen, hahahahaha, I have a few friends that have good shape first gens that have turned down offers of 14 and 15k. And there not show trucks, just solid Dailey drivers.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although trackspeeder, if you decide to go another route with your 90, you could sell me that ve motor, haha wishful thinking

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here,everyone wants that p pump.Usually,rusty 1st gens are pretty cheap compared to a p pump truck.I hear ya on the 5spd thing.I went old school with a Getrag/205 in my jeep.Same ratio's as a nv and this one was from a low mileage wreck and a factory fresh unit.Ive got close to 1500 in trans,factory shafts and that 205.But I know the history on this one..and a side note..I just realized Ive got way too much $$ in that truck. 4bt's arent cheap

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No they are not, I used to have a a short bed 69' f100 that I wanted to do a 4bt swap in, never did it because of the price, I put 3 motors in that truck, one went in and out befor leaving the garage. It started out with a 360, went to a built 460, then a 7.3 idi that never even moved it, then a 4.9 i6. Then I parted the truck out, what a waste of time and money haha. I don't really know what I was thinking there haha.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man! I love my IDI but I've been driving an older dodge 5.9 company vehicle for work and I gotta say I'm starting to fall for it a little. A swap just seems like the best of both worlds. It's like your wife with your secretary's body. Or is it your wife's body with your secretary's...

Sounds good either way....:sly