Tightwad WMO filtration system test

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott all I have to say is ......... I can't have no words that pickup looks great.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Scott all I have to say is ......... I can't have no words that pickup looks great.

The truck is not mine........ unfortunately. I have a Jetta Sedan.... click the link above the Caddy pic for pics of my car. If I could have afforded it at the time, I would have bought Darrins.......

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best pump for transfer or powering a 'fuge I would have to say (for cost's sake) would be a used powersteering pump that had a remote reservoir... and drive it with a 110v electric motor via belt.

My pump is from a 2002 ford focus and is driven by a cont. duty fan motor... 1/6hp... small pulley on the motor... 3" or 3.5" pulley on the pump... works great and was very cheap to put together.

You run that with a 1/6th hp motor??? I had a 1/3 that kept giving me troubles. Got mad at it and put a 1hp that I had on it and it doesn't even think about slowing down

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reduction makes a difference. I only have a 2.5:1 reduction, so my pump spins slightly above it's idle RPM when it was on the vehicle. It still spins too fast, I would like to get it's rpm down enough to have very little bypass. At my reduction though, my 1hp motor is way too much. the motor can drive the pressures well above 1000 psi.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 direct drive set ups and one 2:1 drive. Wanted to pump faster to transfer so I overdriven a pump to take its rpms around 3400. 3/4hp on it. I do get a lot of bypass when I run the fuge with it

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we're talking about PS pumps for wmo use, I'll pose this.
Does anyone think these PS pumps "foam" up or churn the wmo to make a problem???
Or has anyone seen this in action???

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any pump aside from a slow moving long throw piston pump is going to mix it pretty good, as far as foaming I haven't noticed it. By the way folks gas-x is simethacone, which is simply a defoamer. I haven't needed to use it in my oil, but I will test a few pills next time, as I do get a layer of foam during boiling which slows the drying process. It's probably a crap shoot at best, but ima try it.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should mention that I only get the foam in the early stages of heating while the oil is still fairly cool and thick. I don't run the pump during that time more than a few minutes intermittently to help mix the temperature gradients. When I do turn the pump on it tends to help remove some foam through mechanical stirring.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havn't had any issues with the motor's power yet... but it is turning the pump slower then it normally would. Powering a single 'fuge, my bypass ball valve is 3/4 closed to reach 85psi.

I'd say with a stronger motor and less underdriving, it could easily power multiple 'fuges... but its what I had laying around so I couldnt really beat the price.

I need to plumb it to my outdoor storage tanks too so I can use it to transfer from the large tanks... and to 'fuge... and to transfer to the holding drum.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reason is... i was thinking about positioning a large "tote" on the hill behind the shop im going to set up for my process, so i could back the truck right upto the tote to load it, then run a line from the bottom valve down the hill into the shop, straight to the fuge and have the fuge dump into one of my RTU barrels for mixing with a float switch inside the drum that actuates a solenoid valve shutting off the flow of oil to the fuge... i.e. dont have to babysit it.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two problems with that. One, you'll never reach the 85psi needed using gravity, and two you need to make several "passes" through the fuge to adequately clean the oil. I spent the money to have a ready to go setup and spent $40 on 4000psi hydraulic hoses at TSC. No barbed connections. I let it run all day and night without worry.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep doing what you're doing and get some savings going. Then you won't feel so bad about tossing some bills at a nice setup.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, working on our motor driven fuge. we plan to have and IBC mounted at 8ft and gravity feed through a coffee maker heater into the motor driven fuge mounted on top of another clean tote. I have learned it is a bad idea to pull directly off of the bottom of anything. Even the stuff that you consider to be clean. I'll either use siphon to pull from 8 inches above bottom, or a bulkhead fitting 8 to 10 inches high on the tote.