Tightwad WMO filtration system test

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not, that pump is not positive displacement, it will suck huge lemons trying to sling any oil.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I shouldn't say that, it may do alright at transferring only, the bigger the vanes are in a centrifugal pump,(typically meaning the bigger the pump) the more capable it is at pushing oil or any heavy fluid. BUT, it's output pressure will not be what it needs to be to run oil driven fuges or push through filters.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the HF pump I have moves 45 gal in about 5min. Pushes through filters fine. Definitely would not run a fuge though.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really, I shouldn't say that either. The reason why I don't like centrifugal pumps is, they typically turn too fast to allow more viscous fluids to flow into them as they run, the larger the pump the less this becomes a problem. Their pressure is limited by the SPEED and diameter of the rotor, and rely on high rpms to build high pressures, see my previous point about high rpms. They typically will not self prime very well at all, and typically require the impeller to be totally full before they will self sustain. Once the impeller pulls a vacuum enough to cause cavitation they simply stop pumping. This is what causes the smaller pumps to be especially ill suited to pumping oil because the oil cannot fill the impeller fast enough to keep the flow going. There are many impellor pumps capable of fairly high pressures, they typically are expensive or operate at very high rpms if they have small rotors.

I have tried a 1/2" 500GPH impeller pump that wouldn't move oil at all.
A 3/4" 800GPH pump that would move about 2 or 3 GPH of oil.
And a 2" impeller pump that would move oil faster than you would want it to unless you are moving 1000's of gallons. It's head pressure is ok, but it's be ridiculous to try and use it for anything except for moving hundreds to thousands of gallons of oil.
They are extremely efficient oil/water mixers, so if you want them to mix separated oil and water they are extremely efficient at that lol.
I find them acceptable only for rapid transfer of large amounts of oil, BUT I have been tempted to purchase a 1" gas powered on to pack into my oil recovery trailer. Notice I only said tempted... They have thier place, but not in my shed... well that excludes the 2" that I never intended to use for oil, but my cousin demanded it and was giving me over 1000 gallons of oil so I didn't argue.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as links go I was tempted to try and be a funny smart ass and post a link to a salvage yard lol. I pulled my power steering pump off a truck of mine destined for the scrap heap and the motor came off my wife's old washer. I wish I hadn't done it because now I would love to use the washer for cleaning oily rags and other shop uses. Still have the washer, but lost the coupling and mounts to the washer transmission., but here's this

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...pump_1122499_1654&keyword=power+steering+pump

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man look at that core charge though, That sucks....

Yeah, I was thinking the other day it would be great to drop a 617 or a 603 into a small truck. I was thinking tranny and all into an S10.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats Mike, glad to read its going good.
And I would say X2 on what Josh said about wmo usage in general.
I'd like to find a Japanese, Korean, or whatever, small pickup with a diesel engine. I've seen the older small VW cars, but my height says dont do it..., kinda like Josh's Mercedes.

Not trying to be nosy, but how tall are you? I am 6'4" and 350ish LBS and I just picked up a 91 Jetta Diesel, one of the more square bodied Jettas. I have plenty of room, and am comfortable driving the car. The seat sits much higher off the floor than most other cars do, and I have plenty of headroom. (My height is in my torso, not legs. I have issues fitting between the seat bottom and the roof in some cars, not get far enough from the pedals). I had an 02 Neon, and a 98 Sable Wagon, and there is by far more room in the Jetta then either of the previous cars. Don't count out a VW just yet..... I still prefer to drive the Ex..... but.. that is comparing apples and oranges...... It is hard to argue with the fuel economy of the Jetta......

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me too, 6'4", not to worry, don't mind giving that info.
The point you make about seats being lower would be a big thing for me too, thanks for the VW info, I'll keep that in mind.
That older VW was a Golf or something like that. (had to look through Wikipedia at all the older VWs to find that.)
The reason I mentioned small pickups is bed space, for hauling all kinds of junk etc.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my actual car. I bought it off of Darrin, so these are from his shop's website.....

http://www.dandlautosales.com/vehicleimageall.aspx?cmb=0|229915045|196225

It is a Jetta 4 Door "Sedan". At one point in time, VW made a Caddy.... it was a mini, and I mean mini pickup. It looked like a Rabbit on the front, but was a regular cab. Along the same lines as a Subaru Brat if you remember them. They came in diesel also. Darrin had one as his shop truck, and sold it a couple of years ago.

A Caddy:

You must be registered for see images attach

I am doing some maintenance on mine right now. I have replaced the Accessory Drive Belts, Oil and Filter, and am in the middle of a brake job. Have to stop and get a couple parts tonight.... found out the Master Cylinder is weak... so picking up a new one. Then finish the brake job...... should stop on a dime when I get done......

One draw I did have on the one I bought is it is all manual. Windows, locks, seats etc. Has power steering and brakes.... but none of the electrical stuff in the cabin that likes to fail as it gets older...... just like the trucks... how many stories do we read about taring apart a door to fix the motor..... played that game on my last car, got tired of taking the door panels off. Mine is in pretty good shape for coming from the Rust Belt and having 300,000 miles on it.....

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best pump for transfer or powering a 'fuge I would have to say (for cost's sake) would be a used powersteering pump that had a remote reservoir... and drive it with a 110v electric motor via belt.

My pump is from a 2002 ford focus and is driven by a cont. duty fan motor... 1/6hp... small pulley on the motor... 3" or 3.5" pulley on the pump... works great and was very cheap to put together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7