I'm workin long hrs and its dark when I get home
It's not a nock
I know that sound
It's a tick
Ill try and get a vid up this weekend

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's very hard to diagnose that sort of thing without actually being able to hear it.

Does it change at all when cold? Hot? High rpm? Low? Things like that help a lot.

Most of the time a ticking is either a valve train issue or a injection issue. A bad lifter will make a definite ticking noise, as will a worn rocker or other valve train issue. Basically anything where there's slop in the valve train.

Try coast down a hill and shutting the engine off in gear (make sure you don't lock the steering) and seeing if it changes. If it's fuel related it will.

Given that it seems to be a sudden onset and related to oil level my best guess would be that you've got a lifter that's failed. But, that's just a guess.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Definitely unrelated, but a failing waterpump can tick also.
I agree with the above.
You may try some auto rx or seafoam. Could just be a clogged/stuck lifter.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad lifter. Does it do it cold?

I'd dump a can of seafoam into the oil, run it for a bit under light to moderate load (no heavy load/lugging due to lower lubricity of the oil with seafoam) and then change the oil with some high quality oil. See if that helps.

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So photobucket is not letting me upload the vid onto photobucket
Ima keep tryin
If not is there anyone of y'all I can txt it to and y'all could possibly post it?

blackbear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i posted a link in a thread i started 'reverse engine bog, ticking and...'. if you can open the link i recorded my truck and its ticking. does your problem sound like the ticking im experiencing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online