Throwout Bearing ?

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay well some of you might know of all the stuff I have recently went through on the truck. Anyways I have a new clutch set on the truck which included throwout bearing and pilot bearing. I was having trouble getting the clutch to disengage until I put an adjustable pushrod on there and it worked. I need to replace the pedal bushings sometime but haven't got around to it yet. After maybe 100 miles or more of driving the truck a slight squeaking noise started. At first I thought it was on the engine but when I push in the clutch pedal just slightly it goes away. I wouldn't think a brand new throwout bearing would be bad already?

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the flywheel to crank bolts have loosened up somehow but I don't feel anything weird when I am driving it. Should I just replace the pedal bushings and adjust the pedal to where the noise stops? Just to be clear I don't have to disengage the clutch for the noise to go away I just have to slightly press down on it. Its an embarrassing sound I have to push in slightly to make the noise go away when I am pulling up somewhere but I don't like operating all 3 pedals non stop just to drive in public.

I have a few other quirks with the truck but for the most part its drivable now.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Onces in a while for the past couple years my 1990 was doing that on take offs in 2nd gear, squeaking and rattling the the entire truck. I always thaught of it being a worn out Dual Mass, being the original with the mileage I put on it.

Yours can be related to the fly wheel as well.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines done that for over a year now. Started when I swapped the flyweel kit over to another motor. Itthe throw out bearing, I haven't pulled it to fix the problem yet because it hasn't hurt the fiction of the truck.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the flywheel is locked out so its not a dmf deal and I recognized the rollover noise but I have never had this noise before so I don't know what is other than the throwout bearing. Maybe if I replace the pedal bushings and adjust the pushrod to keep a little pressure on the clutch fork that will work.I keep thinking that the spring in the slave cylinder should put enough pressure on the fork.

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems you have narrowed it down to either the pedals or something within the bellhousing. I know it would be loud but do you think it is worth pulling the floor pan and operating the clutch? I would think that with the floor pan removed, if the sound was within the bellhousing the noise would be louder. Just a thought to further narrow down where the sound is comming from.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I can't see removing the floor pan. The noise has to be in the bellhousing area. I think I will need to remove the inspection cover when it warms up and make sure the flywheel hasn't loosened up or anything. I really haven't checked it out too much but I will just cross my fingers that its simple. I think I am going to quit driving it until I look into it.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I have this SAME problem with my truck concerning the throwout bearing. Mine only does this in colder temps though, so I haven't really worried about it. I was told by a few members here that I could possibly sneak some grease up to the bearing to quiet it down but my fingers are too fat to reach lol

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help. I think I just need to look into it further to diagnose it. I have a to-do list a mile long though and I think I need to start giving the car some attention before the truck. I don't know if mine is only cold related because I finished the clutch up right as it was getting cold. I don't think I have it adjusted too tight because I had to adjust it out a little just to get the clutch to start disengaging. Even if was adjusted too far with a new TOB I would think the clutch disk would be the first thing to suffer for being adjusted too far because it might be slipping some, which it isn't. These are Sachs parts, I don't have much experience with clutch parts but this is what Oreillys carry’s but I got it from rockauto.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i think u adjusted the rod to much, causing the throwout bearing to spin all the time against the pressure plate. causing the premature failure.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I am saying is that I only adjusted enough to be able to use the clutch. I couldn't even get it out of gear when it was running until I put that adjustable rod on. Are the TOBs that weak that they can go out in 100 miles? The old one was seized and wearing into the pressure plate fingers and didn't make any noise.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay this is driving me crazy trying to figure out. I am trying to decide if I should pull the transmission to fix or not. I tried adjusted the pushrod at the master cylinder to put less pressure and I could almost get the noise to stop but then I didn't have enough pedal to shift gears. I kinda adjusted in between and I can shift but not real good but at first the noise was almost gone. I definitely need to adust it back to about where I had but wondering if I should adjust it enough to keep enough pressure on the Throwout bearing to make the noise stop? Seems like a bad idea. I am thinking the brand new TOB is shot. It is gradually squealing louder and louder. I bought this whole clutch kit with new disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, alignment tool for 165 from rockauto and was the same kit listed with Oreillys. At this point I am thinking in a few weeks of doing the following when I get the money:

New pedal bushings, possibly find that heim joint kit that eliminates the plastic bushing from mc rod
New dual mass flywheel
New flywheel bolts with loctite
New throwout bearing - where should I get the best one? I can't find a ford one listed.

The clutch hydraulics are new and seem to be in good working order. The reason for wanting to find a new dual mass flywheel is I had mine welded and it works really good but I have the rollover noise and don't like it. I am sure I could get my ip and injectors replaced and cut down on the noise some which I might do but I am hoping to just find the flywheel for less than 500?

At the same time I do this I have a brand new starter I will be installing.

On a side note I installed a 93 driveshaft and my drivetrain is a 90. The carrier bearing hangs an inch or two lower than the old one and I am getting a vibration. Can an older carrier bearing be installed on the 93 shaft? I still have the old shaft so I might look at the two side by side when its out. I hate pulling all this out again but I will be making a big move this spring and need all my stuff in top running condition because I can't break down and just call someone to come out and help me get back home.

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few related thoughts:
A Luk single mass flywheel and rep-set (throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, pressure plate and disc) is what I like. No rollover noise in neutral with the clutch disengaged using regular ATF in the trans. Cheaper and stronger then a DM setup. BTW, I have also used another brand SMF disc and the noise was terrible.

The hydraulic slave cylinder is supposed to have tension (from the spring inside it) on the clutch fork. The throw-out bearing its supposed to spin all the time. If it has very lite pressure it might make noise -- not enough pressure to self align. Because of the spring tension in the slave cylinder, it's self adjusting as the disc wears.

The clutch fork takes a lot of wear too. Large wear grooves can push on the back of the bearing unevenly. There's different throw-out bearing and clutch fork designs in use, and they can wear in places that don't match up after replacing one of them. With all the other new parts, might as well replace it if it looks worn. BTW- the fork can be removed with the trans installed.

The front part of the tranny with the tube that the throw-out bearing slides on will have some wear too. The bearing can hang up and not press evenly against the fingers of the pressure plate with the clutch disengaged. Suggest smoothing out any ridges with emery.

Best of luck--

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have my flywheel welded and I am getting the rollover noise so I don't think an actual solid wheel would eliminate that but would probably be more balanced than what I have. I might keep that the way I have it but hoping to get a good deal on a dmf. I am sure if I had the engine running really smooth that rollover noise might go away. I did put a new clutch fork on also. I didn't replace that collar that the TOB rides on but greased it up really good and could slide the TOB back and forth pretty easy.

Does anyone know the part number or where to get that main shaft collar that the TOB rides on? I might replace that while I am in there. There is definitely plenty of spring pressure at the slave cylinder so maybe your right and its sitting kinda crooked making it squeal. Its weird that it didn't make the noise at all for awhile after I got it together. That main shaft collar is the only thing that I didn't replace that I would think could make this bearing sit weird and cause noise. As loud as its getting a person would swear the bearing is shot but I dunno.

I wish they would come out with a slave cylinder mounted behind the throwout bearing like some other transmissions have. I am not familiar with these but I would think it would push against the pressure plate alot more evenly than being pried with a fork.