throw out bearing zf5

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
had a very noisy throw out bearing before my clutch job and after i greased everything up and put the new TOB on i still get the same noise. what can i do to get rid of it. i can hear it spinning if im sitting in N and randomly it just makes a rattleing sound. and people always worry the thing is breaking. i can be crusing in 5th and every now and again it will ratlle.

id love to get rid of this noise.

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the pilot bearing might be causing the center shaft to vibrate and make the throw out bearing to run full time or you can check to see if the clutch has too much pressure keepin it engaged all the time ,, but kinda sounds like to me its the pilot bearing to me

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
iv got a brand new kevlar pilot bearing in it, replacing the old worn out roller bearing.

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure what to tell you on this one ,, i have noise in mine but its coming from the inside of the tranny ,, and its caused by the gear oil i run as well as the new hd southbend clutch kit i have in it but i dont notice unless its very cold

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
First off, could be a bum input shaft bearing if your old pilot bearing was hammered.but more likely the new throwout bearing is a tad long and you don't have enough free play in the pedal. the bearing shouldn't be riding on the pressure plate fingers with your foot off the pedal. Certain combinations of replacement parts can lead to improper clutch adjustment and it takes an adjustable clutch rod , available from Napa, to get it back. You should have 1" free play at the top of the pedal travel before it contacts the fingers, after that 1" you should feel the load of the pressure plate spring, and it should begin to grab about 1" up from being fully depressed. If it's not behaving in that manner, then grab an adjustable clutch rod and fix it up ;Sweet

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a chirping noise lately in neutral, but after today it stopped. I replaced the master and slave due to them not holding pressure anymore, and the slave rod was actually vibrating inside the clutch fork. The Pilot bearing usaully under load only when your clutch is engaged because thats the ony time its spinning by itself.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
i have an adjustable rod going into my master. if i make it a little looser that should help the problem?

my old pilot bearing didnt seem shot.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine started doing this after my motor swap.

Its been about 8 months and the noise is still there but much quieter. All the bearings were tight when it went back together.

Maybe one day Ill pull it apart and see what it looks like.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i have an adjustable rod going into my master. if i make it a little looser that should help the problem?

my old pilot bearing didnt seem shot.

Give it a shot. Could be your old throwout bearing was maybe 1/16" or so thinner . It doesn't take much. Small manufacturing differences can really mess up the operation.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
my old one made this same noise too.

i loosened the clutch rod a turn and i think it does it less often but every 5 minutes or so i will hear it rattling around. usually when im in 4th or 5th but if i shift into n it will still do it. when i did the clutch i checked the input shaft for play and couldnt feel anything.