Throttle rod fell off

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Driving home this morning from work I entered on to the big loop de loop to catch the bypass as I entered I had slowed down then seen it was not ice covered so pressed on the go go pedal. :eek: NO GO! Pedal had very little resistance and just plain hit the floor

uh-ho... Not good... big long trail of cars behind me all chomping at the bit for me to MOVE... So just idled her to a spot where I could pull off.

Jumped out and there seems to be a rod that goes from the pivot back to the back end of the injection pump it has a ball/socket deal on the back end that the socket popped off. Lighting was not so good so I couldn't tell how/what style retainer holds it in place. I just popped it back on there but it's very weak and I suspect that it will pop off again from vibrations (engine and road). I assume there should be some sort of clasp that holds this (haynes manual really lacks in this dept). I could not feel anyhole for a metal pin to stick through but again at this point (with no gloves on and temp is 13°) my fingers were pretty much frozen solid at this point. I kept laying them on the engine trying to warm them up a bit while I was scoping things out trying to find the problem (before I found the rod)...

So what's the deal - wire tie or duct tape :joker:

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I'm not sure if your truck fits the recall, but there was a recall on mine for throttle linkage. Not sure if this particular part was included or not. I'm afraid of the local dealer ever touching my truck again, so I've not had it done.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep found the recall information
Recall #970

As it turns out it has already been done and so I have get a new socket. I went searching on DTR and seen where someone was talking about it here recently and was lead to the link. I printed out the info and took it down to my local dealer (Dewey, Cheatem and Howe LOL ) he ran the VIN and basically told me I get to play diesel mechanic (which isn't so bad - I've done it a couple times). He also checked for all the other recalls associated with her and found that I get nothing for free today :( But oh well at least one of the guys on DTR posted what he paid for a set of sockets - saved me some money because he was going to stick me for 50 bucks - ended up getting them for $38.69 after the Govnr got his cut. Parts will be in on Monday. Parts guy knew what I was wanting he says he sell a ton of them - he said the balls never seem to wear out just the sockets. I'm going to take the new ones and see if I can drill a hole to slide a retaining wire through the backside of the ball to hold it in place seeing as how it's just a friction fit/catch. Seems to me that this should have been done from the get go...

Anyways... Part number is 5011959AB description ROD List price 48.18 - my cost 36.50

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The second time it fell off I just wrapped it with paper - road side repair - only thing I had available to me but it's holding like new... Dealer called yesterday afternoon so I will go pick them up in the morning after I drop Sherman off at school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat