throttle cable

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My throttle cable broke at the pedal is there anyway to fix this?? I could go to a junk yard and get one are they the same for gas motors and if so what years. Thanks!!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gas throttle cable has a square mount on the carb/throttlebody/IP side of the insulation of the cable.
diesels have a slot and a plastic pin it uses to keep it in place.
you can use a gas throttle cable in a bind, combined with some zipties to the bracket that comes off the intake.
but this is only an emergency fix.
will work to get you out of a jam, but dont be drag racin with it.

last time i priced one was last year at 35 bucks?
or you can spend 2 hours to try to fix it to have it snap somewhere else on you.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Fwiw I've had two different brands of aftermarket cables and they both sucked. Supposedly the Dealer/Ford option is worth the extra money.

EDIT: If you're turbocharged be sure to take the time to route it away from the exhaust housing.. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Has anyone used an ATP cable to comment on quality? I ordered one from Summit to get my order up to free shipping. My cable is cracked and junky and only a matter of time so it needs it. Do the aftermarket cables not have a nice smooth liner inside the sheath? I dislike sloppy cables with no proper liner. They are loose and rust quickly.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
napa and ford cable are/were made by the same company. atp should be fine. It broke at the pedal because its binding in the sheath. time for new.

And EFI 460 and diesel cable are real close.

And 92 up is 2 " longer and wont work in a bricknose.

87/91 napa number

Part: BK 6101439
Product Line: Balkamp

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gas cables are much shorter than the diesel cables as well.

i used a F350 460 cable on a 92 F250 7.3. someone at my local gas station. his broke and I wired the 460 one up for him, he was on crutches.
it was the same length.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
That's odd, I will have to check that out. I am swapping a 6.9 in place of a 460 and the cables looked different lengths to me.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the ebay link above I think it said 86...90 was all engine makes don't quote me on those years
that one wont work for you.
the sheathing mount is a square mount. the picture that e-bay link shows is of an EFI set up.
it could work, if you modified a EFI 460 mount. but not a direct replacement