throttle cable

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My throttle cable broke a couple of years ago and I had a heck of a time finding the correct replacement. The correct one at NAPA was listed for a 1994 turbo diesel F250. It has a thick plastic shield you can move around to protect the cable from the heat of the exhaust turbine.
It's been about two years since I replaced it and it still works, but I do notice if I REALLY get into it, there is a momentary hesitation for the throttle to snap back when I let my foot off the throttle. I rarely do that, though.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The efi and diesel mounted the same in the truck I just converted, carb trucks are square mount,

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The efi and diesel mounted the same in the truck I just converted, carb trucks are square mount,

theres obviously many many of these lol
im not tryin to argue by any means, just sharing my experience
the only thing i know is my experience, which isnt very vast.

the one that i pulled out of a 89 F350 with an EFI'd 460 was this style.
altho this is not the throttle cable, it had the same mounting stuff.
You must be registered for see images attach

and here is my 87 diesel cable.
these 2 pics were the only differences i found.
i have no clue when they changed it up but this is the style ive had on my 87,90, and 91
You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats weird, I have not seen that square on the bricknose trucks. And that looks like a GM cable first pic. But who knows what they put on when they run out of parts on the line. The diesels have been the same since 83. I have the 460 efi at a friends house out of the 88, Ill have to check it out.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats what i thought when i disconnected, i thought i had taken too much "medicine" because it looked exactly like a GM mount.
but i checked the grille, yep it was a ford..lol:D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just giving you a bad time, the cable kickdowns are like that.lol To the op, I know the napa cable works Ive used a half dozen.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its all good! please do check that out! it would be nice to know for the future!:shake:

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
For what it's worth the ATP cable is made in Columbia. Better than China I'd imagine.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found the aftermarket cables to be excessively stiff? The first time I tried to use cruise control after installing a new cable it popped the fuse. Just tried a quick search for a motorcraft one and found nadda.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Has anyone found the aftermarket cables to be excessively stiff?

Yep. You'll have to use some tie wire/zip ties to hold it in place but if you route it so the bends are as wide as possible it will help a bit.

Throttle cables are on my short list of things I hate about IDI's -cuss