Thoughts about turbo and oil

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have just been thinking through some of the issues my truck was experiencing when my turbo blew. I will be getting news from my turbo rebuilder on monday on whether or not my turbo is rebuildable.(He went down to .010 on the housing so he is going to see if he can get larger bearings....015)

When my turbo bearings wore out, oil was coming through the down pipe and into the exhaust pipes. He said that any disturbance to a turbo will cause the turbo exhaust seal to leak but it may have been caused by oil backing up. To make sure that oil will never back up again, I will be changing my valley pan and drilling multiple holes in the oil baffle. Although I have punched some holes in my current valley pan with a screwdriver, I am not confident about the placement of them and if they were large enough. I hope to figure out some kind of contraption that will prevent leakage from that grommet while I have it out.

He also said the turbo may have not been getting enough oil. I plan to put a oil pressure gauge on the port above the oil filter where the oil is sent. What pressure should I be seeing?

He also said the turbo may have had a problem because of improper engine venting. I am also wondering if a bad CDR could have caused this. This question would be to only the Banks 2nd gen. sidewinder guys because our setup is truly unique.

How much oil do you guys generally see in your intake? I do not know if the oil could have had and adverse effect on my turbo.

Thanks.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I* never heard about the valley pans being turbo specific. Can you please elaborate?

Yeah I have my oil pressure port on top but I cant say I trust my factory gauge. Im going to put a aftermarket one on and see what it is reading.

Anyone else have thoughts on the oil issue?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On both my IDI's, I have the same Banks turbo as you have. I have the factory and my Autometer oil pressure gauges on the turbo oil block. On the F250, I used a Y fitting.......... I did a remote set up on the F350 using hydraulic line with JIC fittings. I see 25+ at warm idle at the turbo on both trucks....... and 45+ psi at RPM.

I drilled the brand new Victor Rienz Valley pan out when I did the rebuild on my 6.9. My two cents...... the openings on the baffle weren't sufficent, and it certainly wouldn't hurt to improve it's ability to drain oil from the turbo by modifying it.

I did a RDT on the F350's 6.9 as I don't like all the oil vapor collecting in my intake and compressor on the 7.3 in the F250............. plus........... I'm running an intercooler on the 6.9 and didn't want all that oil vapor collecting in the IC over time.

Heath

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I have a new fel-pro valley pan gasket in the box, it has additional holes punched in the baffle to allow the oil to flow freely.

Still no harm in putting a few extra holes in it for good measure... ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The valley pan gaskets are all turbo specs these days so no need to punch more holes in them... That can have a bad effect on the oil mistbeing sucked up in the intake. My Banks sidewinder wastedgated turbo that I had Banks install on my na engine never had any oil consumption and I know they did not cut holes in the valley pan nor did they replace it. I never had any oiling issues. The oil feed line came off the bellhousing flange and ran up to the top of the turbo. They plugged off the factory oil sender port and put the sender on the top oil manifold they supplied... I eventually installed a tee fitting and ran my mechanicl gauge off that location. I always had good reading from there too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online