This is the right starter, right???

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the difference between the two? I have the long one in my truck and a second as a backup.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the denso is a great starter. the mitsubishi, long one is a pretty good starter. It is usually cheaper to get a denso replacement that to get the mitsu rebuilt. All starters will go bad eventually if you overheat them or crank with low battery capacity.
If the denso starts to be intermittent, it usually just needs contacts replaced in the solenoid. easy and cheap.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The denso is the more modern style upgrade. That is the style you will find as factory on the PSD engines.
When I went to my local diesel electric shop to buy a new starter and was trying to buy a new Mitsu starter, the guy basically refused to sell me one and insisted on selling the Denso starter. Both were the same price, but he never has any problems with the Denso starters, unlike the Mitsu starters which go out regularly like clockwork . Only time he ever sells the Mitsu starters is if there is an application where there is a clearance problem where the Denso wont fit.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bd electrical is good to deal with. i had an issue with one of their starters (my fault, when i wired project car up wires wre wrong so it never disengaged, so when engine was running it was running 4 times that rpm.. ran like that for a few minutes before it went boom) they sent me a replacement free of charge and everything. very good people.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
FWIW, they list this starter at ~ $97, to my door, it was $115, and O'reilly's wanted $170ish... The decision couldn't have been clearer :D

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Nick, how was Yours to install? I think DB sent Me one that was clocked wrong for the IDI. The top bolt was a MAJOR PITA!