Thinning WMO: Diesel or Kerosene

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What works better for thinning WMO, diesel, or kerosene? A lot of people seem to be using kerosene? Why?

On the post 100% WMO there was a guy mentioned from Iceland who was running 100% WMO and blending 10% premium unleaded so it would start fine. Is this a bad idea, or should it work?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Kerosene has a lower auto ignition temp and lower viscosity than diesel so it thins better and ignites at a lower temp.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What works better for thinning WMO, diesel, or kerosene? A lot of people seem to be using kerosene? Why?

On the post 100% WMO there was a guy mentioned from Iceland who was running 100% WMO and blending 10% premium unleaded so it would start fine. Is this a bad idea, or should it work?

Running premium is a waste of money. In a diesel either 87 or 92 will ignite the same, since the compression is far above either ones' auto ignition temperature.

Gasoline is more dangerous because the fumes are more flammable. I'm not saying it's bad, you just have to remember what you are dealing with.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides being more dangerous, it seems far less expensive to use since a much smaller quantity will thin a lot of WMO. Other than the slightly increase risk is there any other disadvantage?

At a 5% in summer blend and 10% in winter that would amount to $0.225 per gallon in summer and $0.45 in winter. Not too bad.

Also it hit me that a marina would be a better place to get WMO from because there would be almost no chance for brake fluid contamination or antifreeze contamination since boats don't use any.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i only add oil to my regular diesel for my regular tanks and run 100 WMO on my aux tank nothing else added.

miy BIL claimed adding Kero to his WMO helped more and ran better than adding diesel. he was running about a 75% WMO in his powersmoke.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online