Thinking of swapping my c-6 for a e4od

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I said I was done with this truck LOL and I should have known better.
Here's what I have in mind--currently I have a mega-shifter on the floor and I have a late model [mid 80s]steering column. I want to go back to 77-79 automatic column to clear the floor for a bigger console and swap in a late model e4od.
Do the e4ods have a button for od or is there 4 forward speeds on the shift indicator ? The 77-79 column has the shift indicator on the column and shows 1-2-3 shifts, so if the e4 has 4 positions I'm not sure I can make this work.
I want overdrive, but I also want converter lockup so a gearvendors won't give me what I want. Also what transfer cases can I hang on the back of a e4od ?

Dennis

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
E4od has a button for od. Early buttons was on the dash, and later were on the end of the shift lever on the column. E4 has three positions, OD-2-1. A bw 1345,1356, & np208, transfer case will work.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest you get a useable E4OD core and ship it to Brian's Truck Shop if you are dead set on having one. Such a built tranny has a prayer of surviving behind the 6.9/7.3

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yep gonna need the 'puter, FIPL, Speed Sensor and (man it's technical name escapes me) but it measures atmospheric pressure - mounted on the firewall on the passengers side next to the HVAC box.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info. but I plan to take the easy ---expensive way out with a baumanator computer.

I also found out my transfer case will bolt up to the e4od :thumbsup: .

Dennis

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
with the Baumanator you will be able to customize the heck out of the tranny - Baja on here has one and he loves it.

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info. but I plan to take the easy ---expensive way out with a baumanator computer.

I also found out my transfer case will bolt up to the e4od :thumbsup: .

Dennis

Be sure you get the 4wd E4od. The 2wd version will not accept the xfer case. Totally differet output shafts and tailpiece. You could do a diverced case like an NP205 or something

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the Baumanator you will be able to customize the heck out of the tranny - Baja on here has one and he loves it.

Yea and if I remember correctly he has a pretty much stock rebuild on his tranny.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent found a tranny with a good tailshaft that I can pull lately. Most everything around me has been hacked to heck.

But if you need any parts I think I have the overdrive button as well as a bunch of other automatic trucks and dash parts.

Just give me a call. Im going to the junkyard now so Ill have another look.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
yep gonna need the 'puter, FIPL, Speed Sensor and (man it's technical name escapes me) but it measures atmospheric pressure - mounted on the firewall on the passengers side next to the HVAC box.

Map sensor ? I say that with uncertainty because I see no reason for a MAP sensor-but I just own it not design it.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Barometric pressure sensor.

It adjusts the shift schedule slightly to compensate for higher altitude operation.