The unique sound of a 6.9 IDI

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Just curious, does anyone know what gives 6.9 and 7.3 IDIs that infamous rattle that cummins' or powerstrokes don't have?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Combination of injector pressure, injector timing, injector spray, pre-chamber design would be my guess LOL

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
I've heard it is part the injection pump, but all I know is I love the sound of a straight piped 6.9. :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know the details, but my guess is that it has to do with the fact that it's an indirect-injected engine. IDI's just sound different compared to direct-injected engines :angel:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it is because of the indirect injection. Any idi engine will have that rattle. Even kubota's have it.'

oleblue85

Reaction score
Love the sound. The people where I work always ask me what is wrong with my truck. It really makes me laugh. They all drive expensive cars and look at me funny when I leave a cloud in the parking lot. Puts a big smile on my face!

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the sound of my straight piped 7.3 ats its sounds like a pissed off 460. I LOVE IT wouldn't trade the sound of my truck for nothing everyone at the gas station and parking lots comment on how she sounds. Also the girls at starbucks drive threw love it too.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Yep, combination of the IDI nature mixed with your typical large displacement high compression V8

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
****** me off at the drive thru's, when they tell me they can't hear the order. Then I shut the sweet noise down, and ask "Hear me now". Ya don't like the rumble eh?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
my 6.9 has a psd sort of rattle, but the exhuast tone is different than a psd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08