The unique sound of a 6.9 IDI

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Delivering an 02 back to my buddy's house the other night after getting it back running, my kids were riding with me, my daughter tells me this isn't a diesel dad.
I told her that it was a PSD and she then proceeds to tell me that it doesn't sound like a real diesel cuz it doesn't sound like Goldie!

It brought a tear to my eye. She'll be 8 next month. :D

The IDI's have a sweet sound that is hard to beat.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
My gf says she loves the idi sound and cold start smell. Her dad raised her on Ford bit he likes powerstrokes. She didn't think one could hold up as well but after seeing how mine get beat she has a respect for them.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
that is great Ron!

personally i think both gens of 7.3L psd's have much more rattle than my engine. i like the sound of the psd's more than the sound of my engine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The early powestroke crowd used to make fun of our engines and say dumb things like "why is it so quiet?". Look who's laughing now! For the last 10 years or so they can't even tell if theirs is running, and without cat **** they can't do jack!

wmoguy

Reaction score
I've really grown to love the sound of the IDI. I don't know if it'll ever rank higher than the sound of a 12v or 24v Cummins (not a common rail) but the ole IH IDI ranks high in my heart and ears.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can attest to the fact that they sound a bit different with a set of Moose injectors being fed by a Moose pump as well. My buddy TIG welded my aluminum intercooler piping. He commented during the course of the project on how different (in a good way) it sounds now after the addition of total Moose fuel.

Heath

Last edited:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Truly enjoy the looks I get at idle.... that's right, folks.... idling diesels really were MEANT to sound like something from hell.

As I often say: Yep, I paid extra for that sound!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online