the tastiest fluid

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I have found that of all the various petroleum based fluids in my truck antifreeze is definitely the tastiest. Nice sweetness and very little aftertaste. Diesel fuel starts out slowly and then has a long long aftertaste. Not so bad in the middle but I'm definitely ready for it to go away. ATF is a bit sharp but not entirely unpleasant, but motor oil--nasty. Of course it doesn't help that the motor oil is instantly blackened. It might be ok right out of the bottle but I prefer my tastings to be served one drip at a time while lying on my back in my driveway--the same driveway which is now colored by every liquid or semi liquid which is in my truck. Power steering fluid believe it or not is somewhat tasteless and mostly just makes you mad knowing that it's there.

Oh, I haven't had the pleasure of sampling gear lube simply I haven't had a reason to do any work with my head in direct line underneath it. Maybe I should do a little pinion adjustment for the fun of it.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Good post there Barney,. LOL ;Sweet

So you posted this at 5:30 am, Are you and Ron Still up and working on the truck, or did you get some sleep and now you are back at it,..?

ddec4me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that its a fluid associated with our trucks. But unpleasant none the less in the diesel industry is airline antifreeze(basically liquid methane).:puke:I pulled a no brainer one day winterizing a converter dolly and took a shot of the stuff to the face at about 100psi. :eek: The burning of the eyes is cured with an eyewash station, but the taste of the gas coming back out of your lungs all day is a bit unnerving especially if you smoke.:mad: I told my boss it didnt make me sick or anything but I definately felt faster.LOL:DLOL:D

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Barney - I know you have had a bad time lately. It's gonna be ok!! Relax "they're coming to take you away ha-ha-he-he" . Life will be good there,youre own room with no furnature to polish. A nice tight jacket with back support.Your troubles are over. And the nice lady will understand you.

Best of all Jack Nicholson will be there after you have got to know the nice lady well,he will help you with your frustrations.

"It will be ok" -just repeat it over and over. We will miss you.

Last edited:

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I second the brake fluid, I just bled the brakes on my Chevelle and I opened one of the valves a lil to far and got a whole face/mouth/eye full of brake fluid, and that was not fun :(

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Yep.Diesel fuel with a good dose of Power service(think the big bottle in a 50 gallon tank) really REALLY taste bad and you will taste it for atleast 2 days.Gear oil does have a nasty taste.Especially GL-1 90Wt.Grease has a interesting taste.Kinda a smooth flavor that isn't so unpleasent you regret the next time but just bad enough you don't want to go out of your way for a second helping.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I dont mind antifreeze, diesel, or trans fluid. oil and p/s fluid are not good or bad. gear oil isnt great but would take it over some. grease is just below gear oil. I hate gasoline and more than gasoline I hate brake fluid at least for taste. Gasoline not only tastes terrible but burns your eyes and skin, and smell bad too. Diesel doesnt seem to bother me at all, smell or taste, which is probably why they concider me nutz at work, well that and the tattoos and hair and nose ring and demeanor and my truck and that I dont own a gas vehicle, oh hell you know im not right if you know me at all! LOL.

punk

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Good post there Barney,. LOL ;Sweet

So you posted this at 5:30 am, Are you and Ron Still up and working on the truck, or did you get some sleep and now you are back at it,..?

I think it was the engine oil that he was taking on in his ear, finally got to him.LOL

Imagine a good stiff breeze and Barney being under the truck with draining fluids goin everywhere. It made for a good morning.:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure A Christmas Story was the inspiration for your post. LOL

Makes you wonder what the difference is between caster oil, olive oil, and motor oil are. After all, they all come from the ground somehow. Motor oil is just liquid dinosaur, right? LOL

Judging from the smell of hypoid gear oil, that must be the Muenster cheese of your vehicle fluid palate.

The toxicity of antifreeze is well documented, so I'd stick with the oils for maximum nutritional value.