The E4OD gremlins have found me...

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck: 1992 7.3 N/A E4OD. Came to me with some sort of Jet brand shift controller. I leave it in the stock position.

Pulled codes, but don't know how to make sense of them. I believe they are two digit codes, but have read about three digit codes being used in later models...

23 pause 23 pause 1 pause 29 pause 49 pause 29 pause 49

Symptom 1: Starting truck, O/D light does not flash. Truck shifts normally up to 35 where lockup should be. Then O/D light begins to blink and does so until the engine is shut down. even restarting within 10 sec, the O/D light does not flash until 35mph

Symptom 2: Start truck and use button on shifter to turn O/D off. The truck shifts normally up to 55. Turn O/D on, and light begins to blink.

When the O/D light is blinking, the trans is in what I assume to be "limp" mode. That is, firmer than normal shifts. Some work was done to the transmission in the past few years. I am in the process of finding out exactly what was done.

Fluid is normal in appearance when compared to new fluid.

I adjusted the FIPL yesterday. 1.07v at idle. 3.90 at WOT.

I have the battery disconnected right now trying to clear out the memory.

Any direction is appreciated as I'd rather not throw parts at this thing. I have a sneaking suspicion something if fd up with my TC.... I'd rather not find that to be the case....

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

29 Vehicle Speed Sensor problem - VSS

23 Throttle sensor out of range or throttle set too high - TPS

49 Electronic Ignition - spout signal circuit problem - Ignition Systems

49 Would be a false code.
Is your tach and speedo working properly? The VSS may be the problem. Your TPS is set a little hi on the low end. Try a lower setting about .96 to 1 VDC.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My specs on the tps were 1.05-1.1...i'll give it a shot. I'll also check the vss and report back.

Tach and speedo indicate steadily and appear to be accurate.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Readjusted the TPS and cleaned the VSS and connection. 15 mile ride with no thrown codes. Thanks guys. May be time to change rear end fluid as it was looking like a dark gray slurry...