The diary of my journey to the darkside.........

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if I had less kids, I would have kept it... but it is expensive to build one.. At least you have a frame, unlike the Renault-esque chassis the XJ is built around. I had a 2.5 MJ, long box 2wd.... way impressed with it.. Had over a ton of Pine needles in the back.. handled that load with aplomb, well for a 4 cyl half ton.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if I had less kids, I would have kept it... but it is expensive to build one.. At least you have a frame, unlike the Renault-esque chassis the XJ is built around. I had a 2.5 MJ, long box 2wd.... way impressed with it.. Had over a ton of Pine needles in the back.. handled that load with aplomb, well for a 4 cyl half ton.

It's only got half a frame, the cab is still unitbody, but the "frame" sections under the cab are 2" thicker vertically, and instead of 1 layer of sheetmetal the whole thing is two formed layers. The LCA mounts are reinforced, the cab mounts are doubled up. It's really a properly tough little truck.

Here's me threashing it in Harlan. Little Jeep on 34's following big Jeeps on 37's and 42's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTn5Fmr3Nvo

that trip resulted in:
Torn shackles from the frame
bent shackles
bent mainleafs
destroyed rear shocks/mounts
bent driveshaft
hole torn in the downpipe from the pinion yoke
bad trackbar bushings

It has since been shortened in the wheelbase, had outboarded XJ leafs put on in the rear, new driveshaft, and another axle swap to the current ones I listed earlier. I did Lions den on a stock D30/8.8 combo with 3.73's in it. Hence all the stalling.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...
6/20/11 re install IDI/COLOR]

^what I did

6/29/1 put in new airtex
Can't keep prime.
Can't keep Prime
Surges while driving, enough to accelerate and decelerate noticeably on speedo

^current [problem
Depress schraeder valve while running, air.. air.. fuel. repeat, same results. repeat same results.

Where the eff is the air coming from, my draw straw in tank? not logical in my head.

Bad lift pump yet again?

Spent 20 minutes on phone with Airtex tech support today, got nothin' but attaboy's for my install.

The Turtle Expedition Company, was so proud of the fact they went airtex, it is chronicled in build specs on the Turtle III

HELP!!??!!??

Same exact everything I took out, minus the two new pumps, oh, and the caterpillar flywheel to crank bolts. Apparently they DO have a torque spec...

Last edited:

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i lost u a while back man i didnt know if you ever decided cummins or the 6.6 but id have done the 6.6 its more unique like the cent lol
but post up some pics man more will watch

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see edit... drinking and posting... lost so much. I am IDI. same exact 6.9 I took out. same exact running configuration.

I can't keep prime. it seems to get worse as my lift pump ages, e.g. this one is a week old. And gets warm to the touch. I also get air in the lines, WHILE RUNNING

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it has an IDI now?

has since October. It came out, the money fairy kicked me in the ****, it went back in
Single tank, no fuel selector valve, right?

No.

It was a two tank truck for 10 seconds in 1990. Centruion did away with that, ironically, the switch was kept. Parts I deleted mention all brand new fuel line from tank to engine, and engine to tank

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Have you checked the fuel heater? I know they can get air there. If you have a heater in the filter head anyway. Maybe your draw tube cake off and it's gulping air as the fuel sloshes? That would be only if the fuel level is low enough for that.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sucks man id check for fuel on down the line till you have air or look for leaks to start

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Fuel heater?

tank to airtex, to filter. filter to IP

I was thinking that you might have a 7.3 filter head on it. They have a built in heater.
Just going through some suggestions.
Maybe you could try running a line from a fuel can to the airtex to eliminate the lines from the tank to the pump.

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about divide and conquer approach. Feed the fuel from a diesel can. If it still has problems its most likely not from the supply line or tank.

Have fun chasing truck gremlins.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online