The button you have to push to get the key out

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the proper name for it?

And more importantly, Is there any good reason not to disable or remove it? My steering column is already apart right now so it'd be real easy to rig that thing up.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel the reason for it being part of the ignition is to keep your keys from falling out of the switch.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason is so you or someone else can't reach around and turn the key off and lock the steering wheel while you are moving down the road. They wanted to make it a little bit more difficult for the manually equipped trucks to lock the steering. The auto equipped trucks with the lever on the column have it built into the shifter. You can't take the key all the way out and lock the steering column until the tranny is in park.

I just traded for a junk Aerostar van that I am going to scrap, and it also has the little button. It's a automatic, but the lever is in the floor with no interlock to the column, so they used the little button on that application also.

I would leave it on there for safety reasons.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate that button too. The guys at the body shop and tire stores cant figure out how to get the keys out.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guys at the body shop and tire stores cant figure out how to get the keys out.
That's called a "filter". Anyone who can't figure that out shouldn't be driving your truck (and probably shouldn't be working at a body shop, tire store, etc.).

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's called a "filter". Anyone who can't figure that out shouldn't be driving your truck (and probably shouldn't be working at a body shop, tire store, etc.).
Lol.i took it to a respected body shop and they called later that day asking how to get the key out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle