Thanks WrickM. Luminosity Probe question.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I few weeks ago I went by WrickMs' place and we timed my truck. We used the Snap On MT480 he has. I also have one but the luminosity probe got lost in shipping and I have been unable to find one for about 3 years now. Well Wrick had a probe for a 6.2L GM diesel (mt161)that he said I could try as it looked about identical to 6.9/7.3 one it just had threads a little further down towards the beveled sealing edge.

So today while putting around in the shop I actually tested it to see if the sealing edge would bottom out before the extra threads hit the end of the treads in the head. I tried it on one of the heads I have been porting. I used a little liquid thread sealer on the sealing face, being careful to make sure I didn't get any in the bore or on the threads and turned it in by hand until it stopped. When I backed it out it was smeared all across the sealing face so I know it had bottomed out here and not on the threads.

Now on to the question. Is there any reason I cannot safely use this probe. The package says 6.2l only and I don't want to mess up the probe in any way as they are irreplaceable.

Please only answer if you have real knowledge on this. No speculation. Sorry to be so **** about it but I am taking this very seriuosly. Thanks.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the same probe I have for my MT480 and it works just fine for me.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should work BUT, MAKE sure you don't overtighten it or the glass will break. I even waited for the engine to cool a lil before I took it out for fear of the same thing only in reverse

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Mechanically I couldn't see an issue but you never know. Will try it when I need to time the truck again.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you said only people that knew for sure but I remember another guy from down in Louisiana who has the MT480 and uses the MT161, I was hoping he'd pop in and say what his experience was, but he's kinda here and then gone.

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used the 161 with no problems. I have always wondered if I would get the same reading as the 160. Without having a good 160 to compare who knows?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
was just doing a little searching,i figured id add in here.
i have both,and each seem to work fine.
please note i can't actually use my meter right now,but they each thread in,and you can see the pulse threw them.
i also think either of these should work just fine guys.