Thank you for the water Arco, best fuel dryer?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me first say this was my own fault as I should never use Arco fuel in anything I own.

I was getting ready to filter some WMO so I splashed both tanks with ARCO #2 to accomodate about a 60-70 % WMO mixture on my way home, then parked my truck for three days as I was out of town. When I came home I was getting all my oil and filtering ready, I decided to start my truck and warm it up as I like to see if I get any real change in the idle and/or smoke before and after I add the WMO. As I was getting my WMO stuff together I noticed a miss, then a stumble, then a stall. When I got in the truck the "Water in Fuel" light was on. No big deal I thought, until I cracked the water bleed. One and a half beer bottles of water came out. I am not saying that it was all from Arco, but normally when my light comes it flickers a few times and then I drain off the water into a glass bottle and generally I see about an inch or so, maybe 3 or 4 ounces at most. This was easily 16 ounces of water, which is pretty alarming considering that the tank I was pulling from only had about 5 gallons of Arco fuel in it. It was pretty tough to get started and I have never put my starter through as much duty which did bother me (yes, I am moving up the electric pump on the project list).

So I am wondering if any of you have used the fuel dryer that says it's good for diesels. I know the isopropyl is not recommended for two strokes or diesels but they do make one that says it's good for diesel fuel. If nothing works well, I guess I will just keep an eye on it and drain it a lot until I get through this tank of fuel.

Any input would be appreciated.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you give it a heavy dose of Howes, it will force all the water to the botom of the tank and it will get sucked up into the filter pretty quick. You'll need to hit that drain a number of times over a few days, but it will get it all out of there.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think Diesel Kleen would do the same trick? I can get Howe's but I have a gallon of grey DieselKleen on hand. I have heard really good things about Howe's (especially with regards to anti-gelling), just wish I could get it a little more conveniently and for the same cost as the DieselKleen.

Thanks for the heads up.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have no idea on the Diesel Kleen. I'm not real big on Power service products. A lot of years puching a big truck and I never had very good luck with them. They're real good for cleaning heavy wax deposits off tank walls and cleaning up sludgy fuel system problems, But that;s about it. I have no idea if it would really help with water or not.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I would complain to the place that sold that and the headquarters.That is actually illegal.Cause if water is getting in there is a good chance fuel is getting out.EPA would love to check on this place!They are liable for any damages that fuel could have done too.So get with them ASAP and get hte ball rolling.Highly doubt it would have hurt anything but it would be a good idea to cover your butt if suddenly the crank flew out the oil pan the next couple days.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I've been lucky with my truck. Our cardlock has never given any problems for all the years I've been fueling up there. Kinda glad the range is enough that I don't have to fuel up anywhere else.

But definately get on the horn and rat that station out!:backoff

Not gonna really hurt your engine, but it will affect the life of your injectors and injector pump. If water makes it to the injection system even for a few minutes can drop the life expectancy by a few thousand miles.

NextENRG

Reaction score
methanol?

i produce biodiesel for a living and have had no issues in the past running methanol rich fuel

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I had a similar experience with Mater, but with a full tank of fuel in single digit temps. Yup, not fun.
Since I couldn't get to any diesel 911 locally, I used a pint of isopropyl alcohol and it did the trick. I had originally thought the lift pump died so I plumbed in an electric pump and that was when I discovered all of the water crystals.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the yellow bottles of HEET are recomended for diesel but they contain 99% Methanol for drying water out of gasoline.
Jim

NextENRG

Reaction score
HEET bottle says right on the side "do not use in 2-cycle or diesel engines"
as a gas line anti-freeze it has more additives in it than just methanol

pick up methyl-hydrate, its 99.97% methanol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance