Tenacity pays off?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been in and out of the automotive repair and performance industry myself since the time I could walk, and now have graduated into the world of industrial maintainence. I too, know a thing or too about maintaining an engine or machinery for longevity.

First off, a purpose built performance orientated engine is an EXTREME case scenario and not the norm. You cant use that as a basis for determining whats cost effective for the other 95% of real world scenarios. Your comparing apples to oranges. That and Ive personally seen more than my fair share of thrown rods in dirt track motors and guess what kind of oil they were filled with :rolleyes:

Secondly, your completely negating the fact that modern day oils have made leaps and bounds in technology in the past decade alone. In order to meet the ILSAC GF-5 standard pretty much requires, at least, a percentage of synthetic base stock, a group 3 base, or a very comprehensive add pack. This is the real reason why the price of oil has nearly doubled in the past 5 years or so. Companines just cant meet the specs with cheap grade base stocks any longer. Gone are the days of 3k OCI's(unless there are special situtions that require it, and even your coveted syn would suffer there also) and even a cheap no name oil can benefit from a longer drain interval.

On a third note, I actually sat down and did a cost anaylsis on maintainence costs of a fleet of 6 vehicles over the course of 200k miles per vehicle with conventional vs. synthetic and found that the savings would be minimal and would have to run the syn oil way longer than I felt comfortable doing. There are too many variables in the mix to trust running that extreme of a OCI, mainly having to rely on employees to check oil levels on a regular basis. Forget to add makeup oil just one time, and the consequences would take any savings and throw them completely out the window.

Unfortunately I cant live my life with a "race shop atittude", I have to live in the real world. The world where COST is everything and is the basis for the populations decisions...

BEAUTIFUL! Glad you posted!

SO you went into the world of Industrial field which is a good direction.
I am looking into the same field but not with regular lube practice.

I see in your cost factor analysis you made a comment
and would have to run the syn oil way longer than I felt comfortable doing

So trying to follow you, your analysis was something you did prior to industrial field?
Now to comment on your quote you mentioned
comfortable
so you saying that
you still practice "Run to Failure maintenance?" because using any type of oil in an extended drain scenario requires DATA and strict maintenance practices like "Data Collecting "
Oil samples and folders on each vehicle with weekly data collecting adding oil, amount added, milage, date, oil level, type of data, is necessary to achieve positive results.
Yea in the real world a lot on company owners don't want this method.
Glad I don't waste my time with those clowns.

I am sorry but the fact's do not go in your favor when it comes to synthetics because when you are trying to maintain a fleet of vehicles it is imperative that lube quality and filtration quality is best you can achieve.
Engines Transmissions and rear differentials all need the best lubes for long life.
Diesel trucks need bypass filtration and extra efficiency media full flow filters to achieve long mileage oil drain intervals, No way around it. Transmissions need lubes that take 500F worth of abuse to live a long drain interval, lets say 75,000 mile drains, Manual transmissions can last 250,000 miles on one oil drain, Rear diffs can last 100,000 easy in a severe duty case, most come filled with a UNKNOWN brand of SYNTHETIC OEM Filled to begin with, I change them out early @ 5000 miles.
The savings alone in waste oil and not having to replace filters as often usually makes a huge impact once the initial move has taken place.

Oil sampling and trending the results is vital to make all this happen, if the owner wont agree with this method I move on to the next fleet.

I love how Oil Analysis is so often overlooked and misunderstood with people who just don't have time to listen.
Not my fault. I am here to help people yet I always get called names and insulted.

That is fine, year after year I carry on like the last.
Collecting DATA and moving on.

In the industrial field they even know the savings of filtration excellence and Synthetic lubes and proper employee training.
Because when Machines run 24/7 365 a year failure is no option. So the best practices are the only practice.
That is what interest me.

You must be registered for see images attach