tempature readings

1986IDI6.9L

Reaction score
ok so today my gauges that i ordered came and i hooked them up oil pressure is good 20 psi idling and about 45 psi 1500 rpm. but i am confused on how my temp gauge only reads 160* while my stock gauge is on the L of normal. Also with my truck running at 160* how does it affect the performance of the engine.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Keep it under 260* and you're golden, remember this is not a gas engine, the hotter it runs, the better it burns until you get to that breaking point. && don't worry about your stock gauge being retarded, they all are.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on where you put the temp sender, you will get a little difference in temps. Installed in the rear of the drivers side head is a good place. If you have the 195* t'stat, 160* is normal when not towing anything, or climbing mountains.

You must be registered for see images

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
260 sounds pretty warm to me. I get mine into the wind @ 230. IMO 260 is too close to the boiling temp with the stock 13lb cap. I do agree that 210-220 is optimum.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A stock thermostat opens at 192 degrees and is fully open at 212. The check engine lite comes on at 243 degrees. Thats telling you the temps are dangerous and to cool it down. These are the factory specs and anything else is something else. Running these engines at 260 is going to cost you big. But I may just be a sissy too. Your welcome to "try" the 260.... If you engine will get there and hold it. You may be the trend setter doing it... Or you might find out differantly too. My bet syays you will never reach 260 degrees and if you do it wont run far.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I freaked out when I bought my current idi because the stock gauge was reading high all the time, put an aftermarket in, and it never breaks the 200 degree point!!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little off topic but related ... If my engine is running too hot I've always thought the best thing to do is pull over and shut it off . However , when you shut off a vehicle and stop coolant flow,fan,etc the temp climbs a good 15-20* . So say your truck triggers the check engine light (243*) so you shut it off , it will climb to about 260* .. does this cause damage or is it only bad if kept there for a longer time ?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Don't shut if off, let it run, best at a fast idle to keep coolant moving. These things cool down quick when they don't have a load on them

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it is best to pull over , toss it in neutral (for autos ) and let it run at a fast idle ? What if its hot due to a failed t-stat, wouldn't the temp just climb ?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
If the t-stat is in fact stuck then the temp may climb further or may just settle where its at; keep an eye on your guage and if it keeps climbing then you may have to shut down and hopw for the best. Same goes for a bad water pump if it ain't pumping at all, temps will just climb. But for general hard work creating high temps; always leave it running and it will cool down

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Saw 251 degrees today on a couple different occasions! :eek:
Over temp light didn't come on but my shorts were pretty sweaty by time I was able to get off the road.

1986IDI6.9L

Reaction score
well been driving around for couple days and temp sits around 160* to 180* but had a little mishap with the oil pressure tubing it cracked. so my question is should i replace it with the same kind or just get the copper kit for it.