temp issues

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah radiator definately looked kinda rough when i i drained it but i only flushed it with well water so there is a good chance that i didnt get everything out of it... definately had alot of murky brown mess come out of the bottom of her... looks like i got some work to do supposed to be doing a long hual this coming weekend and need to get this problem fixed... also the truck also did this with the stock fan it seems that both electric and stock have been letting her get warm eventhough i have seen a little bit cooler temps with electric..

Black dawg

Reaction score
How much are you towing?

Honestly, I would ditch the electrics for a functioning clutch fan.

If it continues running this hot, switch to a good sythetic oil, or you will end up with stuck rings.

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont really tow to much about two or three times a month and im towing a 78 f250 mud truck so the load is decent but not incredible. i just got back from pulling my buddies ranger and truck did ok found i had a bad connection on fans so now im holding steady temp of 215-220. i did notice that when i come to a stop and get going down the rad again she will slightly climb temp 5-8 degrees but once im up to speed again it holds steady temp.

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive read good and bad with elec fans but the way shes running now lets me at least keep it at a steady temp even if a little high. ive got new t stat on the way from ford and gonna change radiator cap cuz it looks real old as well... also gonna change elec fans to dual 16" instead of a 16 and a 12 and will report back on that... any other ideas or suggestions in the mean time would be great. i thank all of you for the great input so far... love this site

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive read good and bad with elec fans but the way shes running now lets me at least keep it at a steady temp even if a little high. ive got new t stat on the way from ford and gonna change radiator cap cuz it looks real old as well... also gonna change elec fans to dual 16" instead of a 16 and a 12 and will report back on that... any other ideas or suggestions in the mean time would be great. i thank all of you for the great input so far... love this site... also got a little more info i took my cap off and watched for coolant flow and it didnt flow anything until my temp gauge hit 225 degrees then saw a good movement of coolant so im really thinking that my t stat is no good or at least a start neway....

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
feel the core for cold spots. the stock fan pulls air through the whole core via the shroud. removing the shroud and installing electric fans leaves open areas with no air flow. you will never get the same airflow from electric fans as the mechanical fan can pull and the more air flow the more heat is removed from the coolant.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think some people realize how much air the stock engine fan moves, no electric setup can move that much air, period! I know there are people running electric fans in certain regions but they would have to be cooler climates and probably not running too much a/c. I tried a big expensive fan kit on my truck, it was for a Duramax and no way did those things cool near as well as my factory fan.
And for those that think a truck moving down the freeway doesnt need a fan, thats wrong too.

We have to remember that idi Diesel engines generate a tremendous amount of heat, just compare one of our radiators to that of an older Dodge diesel of the same era, those things are tiny.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online