temp gauge sensor

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
my stock gauge doesnt work because of the bad sensor.

i bought a new one from rock auto and its the wrong thread size.

they list a coolent temp SENSOR and a SENDER which one do i need to make my dash gague work. i think i ordered the sensor.

can some one tell my what the part number is that i need. thanks ;Sweet

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe your looking for the sender, AIRTEX Part # 1T1144
check on this I think it is what you need. That is the part number I saw for the rockauto parts.

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also take a jumper wire from pos side of batt. and touch it to wire from sender and see if your gauge moves and if it doesnt you need new gauge.

fordpower21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought it was if you touch the wire to ground it should go up thats how my old 150 was i know it was a gasser but should be the same

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe I am a **** cookoo should probably find out for sure before breaking something else because of me:puke:

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
its to ground and it works its just the sensor/sender is bad.

damn i cant belive they want 30 for the damn thing.

maybe i can find one out of a parts engine.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
its to ground and it works its just the sensor/sender is bad.

damn i cant belive they want 30 for the damn thing.

maybe i can find one out of a parts engine.

If I can find the one out of my '90 I'll send it to you. I'm using the Chevy senders anyway.

suv7734

Reaction score
There are two temperature senders on these engines.
The one that gives the gauge a reading is the one closest to the injector pump on the front of the engine and has a smaller thread.
The second one is an over-temp sender that is at the front of the driver's side head and has a larger thread. When the coolant reaches 240* F it trips the engine light and pegs the gauge

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya it is ground sorry about that I have tested mine and had to replace the sender not sure why I was thinking pos side all well at least you already knew and didnt screw something up

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
There are two temperature senders on these engines.
The one that gives the gauge a reading is the one closest to the injector pump on the front of the engine and has a smaller thread.
The second one is an over-temp sender that is at the front of the driver's side head and has a larger thread. When the coolant reaches 240* F it trips the engine light and pegs the gauge

i jumped both sensor wires to ground and each one pegged the gauge and gave me the engine light.

the one in the very front reads 344ohm and the one that i got is the same size as that one and reads 244ohm. i took the one in the head above the manifold out that is 1/2npt and put in an isspro water temp but its not working and i want to fix the stock gauge. i lost the sender that i took out from that spot to check it. but i think you might have it backwards?