TECH 101 Windshield removal and install...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TECH 101 windshield re n re

I have been asked many times if I could do a tech 101 on windshield removal and installation, and it's a hell of a lot of work with many pictures but alas...today I did my best at it for ya'll

This is a method I use when I've only myself to remove the glass. With a helper you can use the piano/guitar wire too, and that's simpler, I may at some time insert that method into this thread at a later date, for now...one person knife method.

Though this is NOT on one of our trucks it's methodology and techniques apply just the same to us and many other vehicles of similar construction.

Thus we have Super's 89 Mustang convertible, which after doing several of this has to be without a doubt the easiest one I have ever done!

There will be basic stuff to do not covered in this as if you cannot figure out how to remove trim panels and inside trim, you should not be attempting this level or service work.

Remove outter windshield trim and wipers.
Remove inner trim and mirror and any other crap in yer way...dash bobble heads and hula girls for example!

On to tools needed
Exacto knife...and LOT'S of blades, having a super long knife like the one shown is extremely helpful and worth while addition to the tool box...another reason to spend $$ on tools..but honey..I need it to keep my cost of windshield repair down hint hint...
LOTS OF BLADES

LOTS OF BLADES

LOTS OF BLADES

Just in case I have not said it enough...lots of blades...some bandaids could be of help too...depends on how accident prone you are.

THIN cotton gloves...you'll learn why if you don't use or have any! I forgot this time and paid the price!

If you are going to remove a good windshield from say a wrecker and don't mind gooey mess, LOTS of WD40 or other lube...spray on butyl and cut..spray cut...lubes blades...soapy soapy water works too!

What is often referred to as a paint roller tool...aka trim removal tool to those in the know

So tools
Blades, one or two or more exacto knives,
WD 40 or soapy water
Paint roller tool
flat screw driver
some type of surface prep tool grinder and heavy scotch brite wheel
good quality calking gun, pnumatic or cordless are ideal
get primer at glass shop for windshield frame and windshield
A couple of suction cup dent pullers are super handy!

You must be registered for see images attach

Painters tool and how you can get under clips and pop trims

After removing all trim inside and out I start by removing the excess sealant on the outside of the glass as shown
Here roof up...easy access all trims removed

Cleaning out the outside gunk

Here you can see that I've cut back the sealer and am pulling it out

No sealer outside of glass...already hard enough to cut this out...more sealant makes it harder

continuing on cutting 90 deg to windshield to remove the crap..

The screw driver if narrow enough will fit in under the sealant after being cut and help lift up and you can remove it all out so it looks just like this now

Ahh...corners are the worst

Ahh...ooooo....aaaaaaahhhhh long knife makes dash work and corners a breeze

Here working on the inside I'm trying to keep close to glass on a bad windshield...close to frame if it's a good one I'm cutting out

More to come

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part deux

You just slip it in a bit cut along and repeat over and over and over till it works through to the outside...
Eventually you will feel it get through and just keep cutting across over and over working it a little at a time. Lube works well too BTW but messy. it's quite litteraly just cut cut cut cut little by little. Don't try and go right through and then saw it won't work well

The corners are the absolute worst and you always want to saw...Saw ...SAW but you just keep little slices and slice away till it's done.

Here we are done..old is out

cutting back some left over material to get down to either rust or good solid base to seal too

Again drawing the knife under the butyl

Sometimes you find it easy to pull back..doh!

I took my Grinder and Scotch wheel and ground out rust and then cleaned with brake clean

primer sprayed, alignment bushing in

You need to cut a inverted V notch in the tube tip to make this work

I will have to pop some more butyl and show how to lay it out on glass I forgot to take pictures as I had it on my fingers...

I'll do it too the old windshield for an example of how to lay material on the NEW glass to install

Get TWO tubes of sealant and ....Always start either on the bottom of glass or half way up a side this makes it so you can make a full solid pass across top. I"ve got one left on hand and used only one for this job of the two. I did not have to open a second tube but what I've got is old so Maybe I'll open it and run a bead for example

Once you get your bead all around I use suction cup dent pullers to hold glass. Reach under the glass then lift up and inside frame and pass one hand out to hold / support windshield as you press it down on new butyl

Super and her new to her helmet she has not decided on keep or return yet

K this is finished in it's lil tent shelter

Thanks for reading enjoy!

gandalf

Reaction score
Good write up. Al. That gives me a somewhat better idea of how to go about a replacement. However, I'm not quite sure I'm ready to take on the job yet. Aside from that, my windshield doesn't need replacing yet. My objective would be chasing surface rust along the roof line. All in good time.

As I went through all your pictures I was getting ready to complain, but you saved yourself when you added the picture of the Super. Nice. You could use a bit of work on focusing, though. Want to try again?;Sweet

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was watching a pro working on a new truck, using a plastic spoon attachment on a sawzall. That's a first for me. Looked to be getting the job done well. They reused the glass.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ sawzall knife's work wonders but can destructive, dont be forcive with them and be steady

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Good job. Finally.
Wire method didn't work for me. Lol somehow busted the window.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ sawzall knife's work wonders but can destructive, dont be forcive with them and be steady
Power tools are hard to work in an auto wrecker if removing a windshield for yourself, albeit at home that's a different story. Also MO POWER usually equates with a lack of experience in BROKEN glass...it's NOT easy to remove a GOOD windshield and not damage it however having done about 35+ with two breaks I've got some experience..

Good job. Finally. 
Wire method didn't work for me. Lol somehow busted the window.
As above having done many, the wire method works very nice with two people when they know what they are doing, however they need work well together!

I would suggest one of these, for cutting out most of the old urethane.
Also warm up the urethane tubes before applying, will make if flow a lot better.

BEEN there done that, as you can see I don't use them for a reason, if it was something worth using it would be in my tool box, problem is pulling on T handle and cutting sealant sometimes a slip occurs and you BUST windshield as the tip comes out and nicks glass...

If you don't think that the sealant was warm when it was 90 deg out when I did this then maybe I"m doing something incorrectly ;Poke

Best tool you can get absolute best tool for removing glass, is an inductor, http://www.theinductor.com/index.php?m=52&s=33

I've used wire method, silly knife with T handle, pnuematic kifes, exacto and inductor...

I cannot afford inductor, I can afford the others. I use an exacto for a reason...simple, effective, works, less chance of glass breakage over all other methods for w.indshields that I cut out.

Then again this is my work and I do as I please LOL All the others may have different results than I and I suggest trying them all if you can and find what works best for you. I'm mearly providing my preferred method

Yes it's quite hard work, but then I never said it was easy now did I?

Again different methods and locations can provide different results. Bottom line do what works best for you.

Keep the info coming guys, that's what this is for...Oh and one I've yet to try but heard about an air chisel...Hmmm...sounds like shattered glass to me!

thanks for looking

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Van, guy said the windshield leaked a little, so he knocked off a $150 if I wanted to get it replaced. Drove it thru an auto car wash, good God it was like driving under Niagra Falls, water just poured in. Got'er all sealed now. God help the next installer if it gets cracked. How about Safelite, I wanta watch. :D and then :rotflmao

Al; Rose Superwify looks gooood in the Helmet, tell her , Keep it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That was probably the problem, it was just me.
And yeah, I have one of those t handle things. No way it would work on these truck windshields. Lol I tried it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, did not see the thermometer thought this might help some else who did not see the thermometer.
How could you it wasn't posted LOL, however that ***** was like freakin concrete it was just sooooo old it would take a thermonuclear reaction to soften that crap...

That was probably the problem, it was just me.
And yeah, I have one of those t handle things. No way it would work on these truck windshields. Lol I tried it.

Ya T handle dohickythingamajig would be like trying to cut concrete with a butter knife, if you got time it may work...but in reality this ***** was old and hard...1-3 years soft 3 up ***** starts getting really freaking hard, not unlike an old cab tyre ROFL.