Taking a truck apart - '89 F250

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to take my very rusty parts truck apart. The '89 in my signature.
Any help is much appreciated. I just need basic steps, anything I forget will just get broken.

I have not done this before. I have torch, air tools, tractor with bucket, B.F.H., etc....

Step 1. Remove the Cab.
Torch cab mounts, pull front clip, pull glass, pull shifters, pedals, etc.......What else?

What is the best way to pull steering column without messing it up? Tilt steering with cruise.

I am pulling the cab so I can get better access to pull the engine and transmission.

If anybody needs anything, let me know. I would probably trade parts for help in taking the truck apart. The only thing I want for myself is the transmission.

I also have a Motorcraft fuel sending unit for front (midship) tank. New in box. Will sell for half of dealer price.

Starter gone
Wheels gone
Hood gone
Mirrors gone
Taillights gone
Clearance lights gone
Fender emblems gone
Tailgate gone
Door hinges gone

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
First thing to do is get a gallon can of Kroil and pour it into a garden sprayer and shoot the whole thing down wherev you see a bolt and give it time to soak so you can save a lot of aggravation.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
It would be easier on you to leave the cab on. Just pull the front clip. You can get all of the trans/tcase bolts pretty easy without pulling the cab off.
The steering column is pretty easy. Disconnect the shaft at the end of the column and then take it apart from the inside.
I just pulled the drivetrain out of two '89s in the past couple of weeks, and I left the front clip on.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the sendning unit still avaiable?

what kind of transmission

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online