take 3

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. 2nd huh. I think Lady Moose manages to get over that one in 3rd with the camper, but she's got the 4:10's of course. Yes, that hill is a ****** to be sure. I told you you would know which hill it was when you got to it. LOL

Where did you decide to pick up I-80 at?

What did you find in that left rear wheel?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i lost a lot of speed when the cruise kicked out in 3rd. then i just floored it. that kicked it down to second. who knows if it would have held 3rd if i had not been using the cruise.

as the hill started i was like..this isnt so bad.. well little did i know 1/2 way up it gets steeper...that's when the cruise let go and speed dropped quickly. also as you know the PSD has no nuts below 2k rpm to begin with.

we got on I80 just outside of state college. after looking at the map Wendy said we might have gone a little out of our way. we could have gotten on further west for a more direct route home.

i took a cutoff wheel to the parking brake cable and that didn't release the brake so i turned the star wheel back and pulled the drum. turns out that it was the parking brake hung up, even though i cut the cable right at the backer plate it still was hung up. so i released the mechanism inside, cleaned it up with brake cleaner, and then put it all back together. (shoes looked fine)

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
that's funny my grandparents live just at the top of that very hill. about a mile up from the rest stop, yes it is a lonely region. they live behind the 7 mountains trailer (camping) park, heck they lived there before the park existed. you used to be able to see the dam before all the trees grew in.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew those parking brake cables were shot, but didn't think they were stuck in the on position any. Glad your past that.

Yes that whole resevoir mountain area on 322 is quite beautiful if your not an engine going up hill or a brake pad/rotor going down. I always look at that runaway ramp and laugh. It's like 100 feet long and ends in a cliff.

Don't get stopped? No problem. We won't miss you. - Penndot

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I80 about 20 miles west of stroudsburg is horendous, actually most of it is until the 80/81 interchange then its pretty smooth sailin out west.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
well today i put the return line kit in. finally got it started and it's running good. i turned up the idle a little which helped with the surge but it still stalls sometimes.

filled the tanks...the front tank is good...the rear leaks badly. now i know...a few gallons of reserve fuel in that tank will do. i did add a heavy dose os power service to both tanks to try and clean out the fuel system. when i did the return lines the fuel smelled like something you'd use to finish furniture.

i got more than 1/2 turn out of the pinion nut on the rear end..the howl on deceleration seems to be gone.

the charging system is definitely not working. new alt, new regulator, i wonder if it's a bad ground somewhere...

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
silly question but have u verified the altnernator and volt reg are working? u know how "new" parts can be.

i would start with a check of the grounds. do these (87+) run anything to the back of the cluster to the voltmeter? deal with a lot of no charge problems at work and most are loose or bad grounds somewhere.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i am getting a drop in the dash meter when i turn on the lights. it the alternator grounded? the voltage regulator seems to be grounded only by its mounting screw.

the alternator gets warm whan the engine is runing a short time..i took that to mean it was making power. not sure how to verify it further. i can poke around with a multimeter..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob, it may only mean that the field is consuming power. Like I said, it started working at some point and worked continuously until I got it home. I kinda like troubleshooting charging problems, cause it really is pretty easy, especially with the external regulator jobbies. Take the voltage regulator out of the equation by simply full fielding the alternator. Disconnect the plug from the regulator, and connect a wire from the #1 wire, to the #3 wire on the connector. This will connect the field directly to key on battery voltage, and the alternator should put out. If it doesn't, then either the field is not getting voltage, or the stator is not connected to the battery. :dunno Schematics in Moosestang album.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
uhhhh...electrical stuff was never my strong point.

i does seem like i may have a severe draw somewhere, even with the key off. the batts were very dead today when i went to start the truck. i disconnected the negative cables and i'm charging each battery individually.

the good news is the return line kit fixed the air leak! when i jump started it today it fired right up. no more bleeding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mydixiewrecked

Members online

No members online now.