Tachy-o-meter

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I got a cluster from a 1994 f-700. Fit right in. But the truck had a 5.9 cummins in it. From the pic, you can see that the tach is different. It only has three connectors on the film in the back. I traced them and one is battery power. one is ground, and one goes to the connector for the stock tach. My question is: Does anyone know how the tach reads RPM's on the F-6-7-800's so I can use this thing?

Attachments

• IMG_2201.JPG
    IMG_2201.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I found that that the '83-'86 bodystyle stock tach goes to 4500 and uses four wires. one power, one ground, one going to the sensor on the ip housing, and a return from the housing. So the sensor gets power from the tach itself. I think that the cummins uses a hall effect switch on the crank? It seems that the f-700 tach gets fed a signal from something else. So if ours reads gear teeth, and the cummins uses crankshaft....or alternator? Funny how Ford used the same dashs in the medium-duty's years after changing them in the light-duty's.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea that is good to know that an 83 dash can be found all the way to 94. ;Sweet

I'd think your screwed on the tach. As was mentioned the correct tach counts gear teeth. I don't think the cummins will match up. On the plus side, you could build an adapter if your skilled in electronics.