Tachometer..

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooooo it seems my tach decided to stop working. I took the sensor off and cleaned it but no luck. Sometimes when I joustle the wiring it shoots back up, but after about 30 seconds or so slowly fades back down to 0. I can see it bumping a little when I turn the key and start to crank. I'm guessing it's time for a new one. Anyone have a working one laying around?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your best bet is to buy a new one,
dont know if it effects the c6 like the Aode, but a used one will only have a shorter life than new...(in a perfect world)

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. Quick search turned up about 70 bucks for a new one. Blah.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a possible loose connection???
You say " joustle" as in gauge/dash or harness???

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a possible loose connection???
You say " joustle" as in gauge/dash or harness???

Harness. The connection runs up over the alternator. When I joustle that connection sometimes it comes back to life for a few seconds.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Check the wires coming out of the "nut". They like to chafe there and short. You jostling the wires makes them "not short" and when they settle back down to where they normally lay, it shorts back out.

Remove the sensor again, and clean the area where the wires come out of the "nut" and put a "hersheys kiss" of silicone, or cover both wires with some "liquid electrical tape". This may buy you some time... but I would be saving up for a new sensor.

Luckily for you, since you have a C-6 it could care less if the tach is working or not. So, at that is really happening is the gauge on the dash just doesn't work. The C-6 only "input" is the VRV (vacuum signal) on the side of the pump, the MPLS (Gear selector on the transmission) and the Kickdown. (If I missed something, someone will correct me shortly....) If you had an E4OD, it MUST have a good tach signal, among other signals to operate properly. No tach signal will send them into "limp mode" and will DESTROY your transmission in short order if driven that way....

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know!. Headed to the beach for a week but when I get back I wil play with it some.

Runningaford

Reaction score
Check the wires coming out of the "nut". They like to chafe there and short. You jostling the wires makes them "not short" and when they settle back down to where they normally lay, it shorts back out.

Remove the sensor again, and clean the area where the wires come out of the "nut" and put a "hersheys kiss" of silicone, or cover both wires with some "liquid electrical tape". This may buy you some time... but I would be saving up for a new sensor.

Luckily for you, since you have a C-6 it could care less if the tach is working or not. So, at that is really happening is the gauge on the dash just doesn't work. The C-6 only "input" is the VRV (vacuum signal) on the side of the pump, the MPLS (Gear selector on the transmission) and the Kickdown. (If I missed something, someone will correct me shortly....) If you had an E4OD, it MUST have a good tach signal, among other signals to operate properly. No tach signal will send them into "limp mode" and will DESTROY your transmission in short order if driven that way....

Good to know, I've got a zf5 in mine, but my bro's is the e40d; which we'll need to keep an eye on for that.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On your 89 you can use a $15 off the shelf sensor. Take a gander in the tech articles

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going to piggy back off this thread... Can i wire up an aftermarket tach to the stock sensor?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greg I saw this in some thread on tach sensors when my 88 acted up,,, if I recall the answer was no... IF I recall...
I saerched tach sensor and that came up.
Someone must know