Switzer turbo

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Co-worker trying to sell me Switzer turbo from his blown-up mercedes. Don't know what boost it makes. May not be big enough to feed my 7.3 May not be worth the trouble.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
im not to familiar with the MB diesels but i do know they are kinda on the small side, IIRC they dont exceed 3.0L. if you are looking for solid turbo think ATS, Hypermax, Banks or even a turbo from a DT466

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One from a DT466 will work? wow! Not too much boost? I know where one is. Some fancy fab work & I might be in business.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scwitzer makes several different sized turbos, find out the specs on it. It's most likely a smaller version, would make a turbo to twins, running off each manifold.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Off a mercedes is kind of a broad term. Mercedes makes so many engines of all different sizes, that doesn't tell us much. Knowing what engine the thing came off would make a huge difference

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said. A turbo off an OM617 is able to feed that engine (3.0l inline 5) with 15 PSI, but I highly doubt it would be able to feed a 6.9l/7.3l...

But for parallel twins, would be great.

Until we know the compressor and turbine inducers/exducers/trim, and a/r's, there is no way to confirm or deny that the turbo is unusable.

Also, Mercedes does produce medium and heavy duty diesel engines, could very well be a turbo that would work.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a sedan. Probably 3.0 I heard "cheap turbo" and got excited.LOL! Had to at least ask about it. When I bought my first diesel back in 93 ['88 7.3 ] there wasn't access to all this info. I really appreciate everyones knowlge & input.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda what I thought. I'll probably just turn pump up a little,run dual straight pipes,cold air intake and drive it for 10 yrs like the last one.