Surprise D70

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a nice surprise today... Well a ****** one first. Rear Brakes locked up on the way to my grandmothers house every time I taped the pedal. Thankfully it was right nex to work so I pulled in a racked the truck. Come to find both wheel cylinders leaking. As I try to order wheel seals too I can't seem to get the right part, end up giving measurements and the parts guy gets the right one. While I'm waiting on parts I start looking at the difference between a D60, 61, and 70. Door code calls for a open D60, but it's been changed sometime before to a 70. New seals, fresh packed bearing, shoes, and wheel cylinder by the end of the night. Old "oil" was muddy water, didn't even have the rear end smell. That was my fun tonight.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations for a posi for it? I'm running 4.10 I believe but I can't rule out 4.11 right now.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I bought a Dana Powerlock limited slip carrier and had it installed last year. It was installed right, backlash and preload set, synthetic oil with a limited slip additive; and for the first 6 months it seemed to lock up when I needed it to and I was happy with it aside from it being loud around corners, especially with weight in the bed. Now all that noise has slowly gone away, I almost never hear it. And....it doesn't seem to lock up anymore. Im getting the old "one tire fire" situation whenever im on a muddy road or slippery situation. So, I will never buy another Dana, and im not gonna take it all apart at this point to see whats up, maybe eventually when I have time to work on my list of things that have to get done for a second time.

Just my 6.9 cents worth....

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I will never buy another Dana
You mean another PwrLock or a Dana product in general? Cause if you're a fan of the Sterling axle, guess who made the LSD that goes in that :D

It is, however, odd that you lost the "lockup" action of that diff. I do see you mentioned you run synthetic oil with the friction additive, does that mean you added separate friction modifier to the synthetic oil? If so you may have made the clutches too slippery, any friction modifier is there to keep them from being too aggressive - with worn clutches you can sometimes restore some of the LSD action by running regualar straight gear oil in it, and on the opposite side of it if you have too much friction modifier the diff will tend to behave loosely.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had great outcomes with using 50%+ Lucas Heavy Duty oil stabilizer in posi diffs, instead of adding the posi additive. It seems to really help them grab well again.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I bought a Dana Powerlock limited slip carrier and had it installed last year. It was installed right, backlash and preload set, synthetic oil with a limited slip additive; and for the first 6 months it seemed to lock up when I needed it to and I was happy with it aside from it being loud around corners, especially with weight in the bed. Now all that noise has slowly gone away, I almost never hear it. And....it doesn't seem to lock up anymore. Im getting the old "one tire fire" situation whenever im on a muddy road or slippery situation. So, I will never buy another Dana, and im not gonna take it all apart at this point to see whats up, maybe eventually when I have time to work on my list of things that have to get done for a second time.

Just my 6.9 cents worth....

Using synthetic gear oil negates the need for friction modifier. I used friction modifier with synthetic lube before I knew any better and still get one wheel wonder syndrome from Bruiser and before installing the axle under the truck, it took 2 people and a lot of effort to maneuver it around the shop. I'll never use friction modifier again with all the cost effective synthetic gear oils out there.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Confirmed I have a D70-U with 4.10 gears. Depending on how much the T Case repair is going to be depends on if it's getting a Detroit locker in it.