Surgine question

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
well it seems that I am mr. roadtrip lately. im stuck in dover,DE till wednesday and im bored sitting in my hotel room.

i noticed that when im driving my truck and in 2nd or 3rd gear and just lightly on the throttle from upshifting. like just enough to keep speed maybe a bit better and at the lower rpm it runs like i would expect it too with no boost...once the rpms start comming back up as occurs with slow acceleration in a selected gear...the boost will pick up and the truck will surge and take off almost like a runaway up to 7-8psi of boost....this is without me moving my foot...not pessing harder or softer...not moving. the rpms race up quickly too....then it his that 7-8psi and it levels off at a high rpm for the gear.

happens in 2nd and 3rd. not in 1st,4th or 5th..

any ideas?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically surging like that is related to air in the fuel system. As air reaches the IP it advances the timing and creates that surg you feel.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
its deffinitly repeatable. i would have thought air intrusion would be more erratic???

i dunno...just noticed it recently.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on your IP? The advance piston is a common wear item, and when it starts to go this can be a symptom. Try running about 50% WMO in your fuel. This thickens it up some and can temporarily stop the symptom if that is the cause.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
it only does it as the turbo spools....never without it...

mel...i cant say for 100% certain but its easily plausible that it is original to the truck and the truck has 116-118k (cant remember anymore)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist