Supercharged IDI Smok'n Bronco Build Thread

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to post this over here, this is a project I've had going on FTE for a while. Right now it's stalled out waiting for parts to arrive. I'm getting impatient, I really want to get this done.

So here's my supercharged diesel f350 bronco project. Some of you know about the TVS Magnacharger I bought for the engine last year, I hope to get that mocked up and get the intake together soon. For now I'm messing around with the suspension. The plan is to get 12psi@3300 RPM starting out. That puts me in the max efficiency area of the TVS flow map without over boosting at idle. I like how efficient the TVS 2300 magnacharger is even at low boost. The green line is about 12psi and the red is about 15psi. Elevation is going to factor in so I just plan on testing pulleys until I find one that works best.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is a general idea of what I have done with the project so far and what I plan to do within the next few months.

Frame: Shortened 1984 F350 diesel 2wd ext. cab
Bumpers: Heavy channel box rear, what was left of frame front
Body: 1986 Bronco
Axles: 1988 F350, 4" lift, Dana 60 front w/custom coils+radius arms, limited slip 10 1/4 rear w/leaf springs shackle
Engine: 1986 F350 6.9 idi diesel, complete rebuild stock CR, stock other than head studs, Stan's chrome headers and Russ' cam
Transmission: 2003 Superduty 4r100 w/Baumann controller
Transfer Case: Borg Warner 1356
Gas tank: 38 Gallon

What's up next.

Build stainless steel intake for supercharger
Bolt in UMP cold air intake
Fox external reservoir racing shocks
Heavy sway bar
Rear shackle reversal
Dual electric radiator fans
Triple clutch torque convertor
Electric fuel pump conversion
Modified bed liner
2.5" dual exhaust w/Magnaflow muffler
Chrome valve covers
Custom black soft top

I'll of coarse install a killer stereo system and give it a good paint job when all is done.

Most of the original pics died with my last computer but these poor ones survived. I managed to move the bronco body onto the f350 frame by myself using superhuman strength and long 2x4's.

Attachments

• R2300101608MAGNUSONHOUSING_CFM-vi.jpg
    R2300101608MAGNUSONHOUSING_CFM-vi.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 16
  • tvs 001.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 324
Last edited:

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright. Here are some parts going on. I got the cam in recently and am working on getting shocks bolted up this week. I'm working on the pinion angle right now, had to modify the wedges after flipping the rear shackles. I can't wait to see what the supercharger looks like on the engine.

Attachments

• tvs 001.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 320
Last edited:

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno...I've posted 100's if not a thousand plus...nary an issue!

Must be me then. My internet keeps flipping out so maybe that's it. Never could make an album though, maybe I need to have a certain number of posts? Ah, I'll keep playing with it.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use photobucket then you can just load them all here from there, it sounds like a pain in the *** but its the easiest way ive found to do it. This build sounds incredible

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use photobucket then you can just load them all here from there, it sounds like a pain in the *** but its the easiest way ive found to do it. This build sounds incredible

Gotcha. I got lazy, happens.

Some before pics and the "Torque Cam" going in. Thanks again Russ for the cam. I'll try not to burn this one.

Last edited:

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I'm waiting for. The plan is to have a custom hub made for the Metco 10" crank pulley and bolts to the balancer. My supercharger pulleys are going to be 3.2" and 3.6". Those two should be good for some dyno testing. I'm keeping the pump and injectors stock at first and the pump screw will be maxed out. I want to see what it's going to look like for fuel efficiency before I start going extreme on fuel delivery. The TVS has an internal bypass so I'm going to make a manual control for it and test to see how much running constant boost is going to affect mileage on the highway. I shouldn't be running enough to cause a problem or decrease fuel efficiency to much, but I think it'll be fun tasting it out.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...sounds familiar. HOpe you have a way to bypass it. If not, the noise will drive you crazy. I like the way mine makes power at the bottom end, but it sucks at like 60/ (like 8psi) and it just absolutely screams and is too noisy. So, Next will be a turbo.

SWS

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...sounds familiar. HOpe you have a way to bypass it. If not, the noise will drive you crazy. I like the way mine makes power at the bottom end, but it sucks at like 60/ (like 8psi) and it just absolutely screams and is too noisy. So, Next will be a turbo.

SWS

Yep. I remember your build. Good to hear from you. I think you had a youtube video also. It's nice to have that internal bypass, I didn't consider the noise aspect but now that you mention it that would quiet it down on the highway. I plan on using some good sound isolation in the interior as well. So you've decided to go back to turbo ay? Just got tired of the noise or are there other reasons? I thought you'd try using two m90's instead of one or something since you already have one up there. Seems like that way you could run twice the cfm and decrease the rpm of the superchargers. That's what I considered doing if I decided to go cheap. In the end I decided to save up for either a whipple or TVS for better efficiency and lower rpms. Blownoiler was commenting on my supercharged mercedes diesel thread about the setup he used on his Toyota diesel. I'd like to hear any opinions you might have on either one. I'm going to run an Eaton m45 on the mercedes.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure an M90 supercharger is probably louder than the TVS chargers. Any TVS that I have heard seem not to be quite as noisy as older, less efficient ones.

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that parts 350 looks clean.....why did you cut it up? and your front bumper is a section of frame.....? LOL

Lol. I guess it looked alright. The 6.9 in the f350 was cracked and the extended cab frame was perfect for the bronco. Plus it was free.... And don't be making fun of my front bumper man, lol. I figured the 200lb beast I was going to use in the rear was so ugly that the front had to match. They are more for being indestructible than for looks. I'll try to polish them up a little but until then try to go easy on me :rolleyes:, I just felt like welding.

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure an M90 supercharger is probably louder than the TVS chargers. Any TVS that I have heard seem not to be quite as noisy as older, less efficient ones.

Forgot you were over here dude. What do you think about my scout build? It's in the diesel conversion forum. Have you built the mount for that m112 yet?

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry to say this but that cam gear with the two drilled and threaded holes is the bad one.. there is a new gear thats not got the balance problems that one has. If you can still easily remove the cam and replace the cam gear I say do it. All the 6.9 and many of the 7.3 had the gears that caused a vibration that came and went about every 10 seconds at idle. Did you install ARP head studs in this engine.. Can't wait to her and see it running on the dyno... Good work too.

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to say this but that cam gear with the two drilled and threaded holes is the bad one.. there is a new gear thats not got the balance problems that one has. If you can still easily remove the cam and replace the cam gear I say do it. All the 6.9 and many of the 7.3 had the gears that caused a vibration that came and went about every 10 seconds at idle. Did you install ARP head studs in this engine.. Can't wait to her and see it running on the dyno... Good work too.

Thanks. I'm tempted to have a pre supercharger run on the dyno but I haven't decided yet. Probably not necessary. It does have studs. Just the idea of those weak little head bolts bothers me.

I'm surprised I haven't heard of this balance problem. Crap. I don't want to take that thing out again. Can you explain more about this problem? Is the gear you speak of an aftermarket replacement or a later year part?