Superchared diesel inside here...

Dejomo

Reaction score
I think this project would make "Lone Wolf McQuade" blush. Nice build!

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bet you learned a bunch about your truck while performing the install...that alone is worth it.

i didn't go through all of the posts, but did you dyno before and after?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That guy that did the blazer gave up on it iirc. I think he put a built 4.3L v6 in it. Idk why he quit on it. He pretty much had it done...

And no SWS hasn't dynoed it from what I know. He doesn't really care about numbers. He just wanted a lil more power and he achieved that. It would be cool to see a dyno to see what it does make though.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
No point to putting it on a dyno. I don't really care about the power numbers. However, if I can not figure out a way to quiet it down while at highway speeds (bypass valve) then I am going to can this and put on the turbo. It is not making bad boost, in fact it is just about righ. I think it is just below the tire smoking power from idle which is nice. But I need a 5 spd to lower the rpms, and space out the gears better. That may lower the noise at 55ish which seems to be the worst. Also, with the way it does not get cold air, you can tell that the heat is effecting the performance of the engine as the gauge gets close to operating temps.

SWS

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of the reasons for all the noise its making is the RPM it has to turn to make the boost that you want. if you were to use a larger blower, you could run it at a lower rpm which would increase its life while reducing the noise output.

if you prefer to keep the blower you currently have, but only need it for off the line performance, then why not put a clutch on it? you could probably improvise a jackshaft setup using an A/C compresor clutch. then, just engage the compressor clutch with a toggle switch.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
one of the reasons for all the noise its making is the RPM it has to turn to make the boost that you want. if you were to use a larger blower, you could run it at a lower rpm which would increase its life while reducing the noise output.

if you prefer to keep the blower you currently have, but only need it for off the line performance, then why not put a clutch on it? you could probably improvise a jackshaft setup using an A/C compresor clutch. then, just engage the compressor clutch with a toggle switch.

Switch off the throttle.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No point to putting it on a dyno. I don't really care about the power numbers. However, if I can not figure out a way to quiet it down while at highway speeds (bypass valve) then I am going to can this and put on the turbo. It is not making bad boost, in fact it is just about righ. I think it is just below the tire smoking power from idle which is nice. But I need a 5 spd to lower the rpms, and space out the gears better. That may lower the noise at 55ish which seems to be the worst. Also, with the way it does not get cold air, you can tell that the heat is effecting the performance of the engine as the gauge gets close to operating temps.

SWS

I bet a ton of sound deadener and the ZF5 would help a lot with the noise. Also what gears are you running? You could lower rpm that way too. Also is there any way to fab up a cold air intake and intercoller for it? The way you have the supercharger setup would make it easy to add an intercooler and that would help a lot with heat. And then you can always add water/methanol or even just run water only to cool it down even more. Just some thought I had. I don't want you to give up on your setup man. It is cool to see it and plus that low end boost is nice I bet...

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you could just can the idea and sell the entire set up for me... I will drive around with ear plugs! How much for you to build another one of these setups for somebody?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
No way I am going to throw more stuff into this by adding a clutch for it of a larrger blower. I don't think you understand the level of the cheapness this build was supposed to be. If I put a bypass in it, it would be activated by the switch. I am going to ZF it and add sound deadner. That is on the way no matter what. I have no firewall insulator at all on the driver's side so a layer of peel-n-seal, a layer of the bubble insulation, and a factory firewall sound deadener should quiet it down.

As far as the bypass valve goes, I am going to look into it and see what it is going to take. If it is going to take $300 bux at minimum, I will probably spend that on oil lines for the remote mount turbo and start that build. Already have the turbo, IC, some tubing, an idea, and a hole saw. If I go the turbo route, I will sell the whole setup if someone really wants it.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure someone would buy it up quickly. Its a unique setup and produces quite a bit of low end boost which is really nice.

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in it in a heartbeat. I would put it on just as a playtoy. Just to see if i could do it as well. Supercharge is, electric fan it, electric fuel pump, straight pipe.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Sorry, I have been away for a while. I have been fishing with the kids and busy with other projects. The dash is out and I am putting in some sound deadner to quiet it down as much as possible. I have to get that finished and then I will see, but have already started with the parts/ideas of how to mount the turbo. I also picked up a set of headers locally and need to have the powder coated to get it done.

I orderd a set of 7* bushings and will be trying to get the SAS done before too long. I have everything but the springs and a few other things. I am going to do a 4" with a lift in the front and shackle flip in the rear. I am also adding a back up (in bumper) light and building a new spare tire mount. I will add the new vids of the insdie when it gets done.

SWS

P.S. Anyone know the size line for the feed and drain of a Garrett powerstroke turbo? I am going to run the STS style return pump.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does that mean you giving up on it totally then even if the sound deadener does help?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I have not really canned the SC idea yet, but will probably can it. I picked up a set of Headers for it and have them halfway installed. I still am working on putting the dash back together, and after adding the IC and LTs, I bet I lose close to 4 psi. Just each pipe from the head is about the same size as the outlets of each exhaust manifold. I hope it is quiet, but it has to be quiet enough to drive it daily. Sorry for the slow updates, but I am neck deep in work and other things. I finally have a spare floor board for this thing. I have the 8.8 rear end for it so I will be able to add a PSOM to have good cruise control. I have the locker apart, the shackle flip on the way, most of the stuff for under the front end and a few other things. I love this thing, but have had other things to do. Don't think that I am just going to give up, its more like trying to continue to fix a problem.

We shall see...

SWS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7