Superchared diesel inside here...

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow thats nice great job man that constant 2-4 psi boost is what most people want out of an idi the guy doin the 6.7 cummins turbo hopes to get 1psi at idi nice job i cant wait to see how its running a few months from now with a lil more tweaking again very cool and good job i like the wine annoying ya lil but who care who else has one not many but you do and doing it with an idi is even cooler if you can POST a video of a good pull from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th i would love to see how fast it builds speed threw those gears esspicaly towing would love to see that

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
There will not be too much "additional tuning" to it. I have a few things I need to do but for the most part, it is done. I would have liked to see 1 more psi, just because much more than 8 psi and the then the air starts to get exponentially hotter. So, 6ish at 55 is not bad...in fact, it is almost perfect. If your IDI is NA, think about hitting it on the flat ground. It pulls on the hills like it does on flat ground. I will not have a lot of stuff to tow, so there will probably not be too many vids. Since I am running it in a Bronco (other reason I do not want too much boost), I have to figure out how to not destroy the drive train. Slip yolks, 9" rear, and (I think) 28 spline rears makes it light weight...and I want to keep it that way.

It makes it feel like it weighs half of what it actually does.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude it looks like it runs really well! I'm glad you got it done. What size of pulley did you end up running? Also what are your egts at? I'm assuming that the max boost was either 6 or 7psi. Is that correct? Also do you think adding a bit more fuel could cool down the egts? Or maybe even different timing due to the fact that it isn't NA anymore? There is probably more power and lower egst to be had with a bit more tuning. Also as far as your drivetrain goes, I think it can handle it. Powerwise, you aren't making much more than a big block would make for torque so I think it could handle it... Also more driving videos. Lol. I wanna see how it accelerates. Haha

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Not sure on the weight, but I actually think it was less than my buddies reg cab 150 4X4...Cant be certain though.

I TOTALLY forgot to add the part about the EGTs. They are cooler than they were when it was NA. I did not even think about adding it in the vid, but noticed afterwords that it was cooler when I was going up a hill by about 300 degrees. It was usually about 900ish and when I made the vid, it was like 600. BUT, it had been really cool here (not 300 degrees difference though) but I will get a better number later. Max boost is about 6 or 7, but I have not had it faster than I did in the vid. Parked it after the vid to get some other things done. With the trans, I was in 2nd gear when I made the vid and hammered it when I was rolling. I am not sure what it did, but it may have slipped the tires or the clutch. I am leaning towards the clutch, but only did it the one time. Remember, I have this to run as efficient as possible, so adding fuel and making more power is not the priority. I only want to be able to tow a car on a car trailer and do it going up hills without losing power and starting on a hill without backing up traffic to the next state. I think this setup (with a 5 spd) will be exactly what I want.

Oh, and MEL, if you are stopping by to read this, YOU SIR, ARE THE MAN. I sealed my leaks, and was noticing the cranking was not uniform. Crank crank crank C R A N K crank crank C R A N K crank crank crank....ETC. Pulled out the test light and found I MAY have 2 good GPs. One more thing, but closer to knowing/having it done. No doubt the fuel would have become an issue, but if the Breus get it to start better, my list of stuff to fix will be drastically knocked down....Starting, floor, back up lights, cooling fan, AC, OD tranny, newer dash just to name a few. And no...I have no intention of getting a different one and starting over.

SWS

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i see and ya you would probley rip the teeth on the spline well nice rig let us now how it does over time

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
It's the little evil gremlin in me.....

If you're EGT's are in the 600 range on a hill, you should turn up the fuel!

he says things like that alot...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2. Haha. But anyway have you ever driven a turboed Idi? How is the power in comparison if you have? I would be curious to see what that thing makes on the dyno even at the moderate boost and fuel levels it is at now... Eventually I may actually have my truck in Cali so I can complete mine and dyno it. :(

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I did not get it to a "BIG" hill yet. I may do that in a few days or so, and that will be the real test. It just seemed to me that it was climbing a lot slower than before, and on the way back to the house with the vehicle getting to speed, it only got to 600 degrees. But it got there so fast, that it had only reached 600.

I have driven a TON of 7.3 powerstrokes. But most of them were a decade ago or so in a different life when I was a mechanic. It probably pulls as well as a stock one, but feels a lot lighter than they do with the SC. Instant boost or all time boost is definately different than "no turbo lag". I think I will try to get a set of stroker valve springs too, just to see if the factory ones are leaking any.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Okay. My update/setback is this. The belt routing put the belt on the snout for the supercharger, which means it pushes the belt forward. If you look at the crappy vid, you can see a shoulder on the front of the pulley. That is actually supposed to be the back of the pulley. My dyslixia kicked in when I was making the drawing for it and I added instead of subtracting. So, the reason it sticks out like that is because I thought..."Hmmmm...flip it backwards". So I did. With no way to secure it, I thought it was all the way backed down. As I drove it, the tension on the pulley moved it even more to the rear and it now is in contact with the snout. I wondered why there were aluminum shavings on the snout. So, I have decided how to fix that. Tomorrow, I will pull the blower, and remove the pulley.

To move the blower back, I was looking at major sergury. So I thought, "How am I going to cut that thing all the way apart and be able to fix it in one day and keep the geometry correct?" I was stressing it for a while, then I thought of the perfect solution. I am going to cut the rear moutns off as a single piece, weld a plate to the rear portion to allow me to slide the rear mounts back and retain the geometry. I will then weld that back together and cut off the front mount, that will be easy to do. Wont look really pretty, but it will be the least amount of work. AND, if I ever decide to make another one, I can make it all purdy.

To fix the pulley, I am going to measure the factory hub size, and mark the new pulley. I will mark the pulley, and put it back on the snout (loosely) and spin it with a blade mount to make the cut square. That way, I have the proper dimention of the pulley, and will be able to take it off with a normal pulley puller.

Pix to follow...tomorrow.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Also, I just saw a thread on here where another guy (who did PM me BTW so no one bash him anymore), asked about supercharging his IDI. I will post this here since it is my thread. I would do this again ESPICALLY with the knowledge I have learned by myself. BUT, remember, I am using the light duty stuff with a 9" and a slip yolk ds. If you were going to do this to make stupid power, you would need two things. At least a 3/4 ton setup, and probably some ear plugs. Remember, I am only running low boost for my own reasons.

So, for this, the first thing you would want to consider is how to relocate your alternator (serp setup) so you can use a belt for that. Second, I would move the pulley in front of the belt routing. This will ensure that you can adjust the pulley size you want to run by adding size to your crank pulley, or adding a jack shaft pulley to the mix. I am already committed to what I have mostly so I am going to use the single belt and custom pulley on the SC. Below 8 psi, the eaton is very efficient. After that, the air starts to get super heated. So, with 8< psi, no need for an IC.

I recomend not going with the SC unless you are not going to DD your ride. Mine will be capable of DD duties, but I am going to use a lot of insulation to keep it quiet. Not that I do not like the wine, but I want this thing to be as quiet as my t-bird...which is pretty dang quiet.

You are not going to save any money going with the SC and turbo kits are readilly available. Like I said, I would do it again, but I am hard headed and had more than 90% of the stuff I needed to make this work. I only needed a pulley, a piece of plate, and a longer belt. The rest was just spare parts I had lying around.

Though some say my results are less than spectacular, they are almost 100% what I was trying to achieve. Even those who claim there is no boost lag on their turbos, I have boost when I am driving without even having my foot on the go pedal. Now THAT is having no boost lag, and that is exactly what I was trying to get. Watch the video posted on page 11. At 55-60, even coasting (manual tranny now), I have 5-6 psi.

After all my bugs get worked out, it will be really close to what I want. I will probably have my spare case ported and increase the size of the inlet to make it even more efficient. If I wanted more power, I could turn up the fuel, but land speed records is not my goal here.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SWS, I thought it was impossible to add any more size onto the front of the crank pulley cus of the water pump pulley right above it? What is your idea for doing that?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw your setup is very impressive. I definitely understand what you desired and you definitely met your goals. A win-win in my opinion. More videos after you get it fixed too. :D

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Additional pulley o n the front because I will explain tomorrow for am about 10 beers into a 12 pack tomorrow I made a vid to show what I got done today I made a vid to show what i Got done today. I will host it tomoroww.

SWs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online